Congress signs bills
How does the president get last-minute bills when Congress passes them just minutes before a deadline?
The US Capitol is really not that far from the White House. They are on the same street and less than three kilometers apart. According to Google Maps, it's about 8 minutes by car. In urgent national emergencies where the bill is before midnight must be signed (like the Don't Nuke Russia At Midnight Act of 2018), the police blocking traffic and a Secret Service car with sirens could be done in under five minutes. At that point it could be brought to the president - easily under 10 minutes for the whole thing.
However, when it is that bad, there is nothing in the constitution that obliges the president to sign laws in the White House. The President is perfectly capable of going to the Capitol, where he, the Speaker of the House, and the Vice President or President of the Senate can stand together to sign the law. If the registered invoice needs to be printed after it has been submitted (and not preprinted), the GPO can move a printer to the Capitol (or at least one probably already exists). The bill could be printed once passed and briefly reviewed by the required people, signed by the required people (the vice-president, spokesman, and clerk of the house from which it came), and then signed by the president.
There are a few reasons this really isn't a huge problem. First, as mentioned earlier, an invoice could potentially go from final handover to registration in less than five minutes. Second, it's incredibly rare for a ten or twenty minute delay in a law to be such a big deal. If it's really disastrous would, if it does not go away, it is much less likely to approach the deadline. While it may be controversial what the exact bill should say, Congress is generally poised to pass a stopgap solution in which things go on as they are for a short period of time while we pull ourselves together. But almost no federal law is ever so critical that it even goes into effect twenty minutes after a certain deadline.
- What are the biggest myths about Indians
- Does my fitness trainer like me
- Boil all liquids in a vacuum
- How do you dig a fence
- What are the best vertical search engines
- How do I rent offices
- What's wrong with communism
- What is a BFA degree
- Is 5086 aluminum sheet price high
- How can I get audio files
- Nobody is at home at Yahoo Groups
- To what extent can someone be original
- Why is it called operation amplifier
- Why do lemon trees have yellow leaves
- What can you say about Tajiks
- How does armor-piercing ammunition work?
- How can I avoid one-sided relationships
- What are the emancipation laws in Michigan
- Why do Tibetans live in India
- How do attentive and curious people differ?
- Plans Zebpay to sell Ethereum
- Why are computer science degrees required
- Are Messi and Ronaldo friends
- What is Gladys Knight's most successful song