Why the world is so wrong
12 theories of how we became humans and why they are all wrong
Man is a work of art! So far, everyone agrees. But what exactly lifts the homo sapiens from other animals, especially from monkeys, and when and how did our ancestors acquire that certain something? A wide variety of theories have emerged on this in the last century. However, some of them reveal more about the time in which they were set up than about human evolution.
1. We make tools: “It is the making of tools that makes us unique,” wrote anthropologist Kenneth Oakley in an article in 1944. “Monkeys use found objects as tools,” he explains, “but shaping sticks and stones for specific purposes was the first recognizable human activity.” In the early 1960s, Louis Leakey wrote the beginning of toolmaking, and with it mankind , a species called Homo habilis ("Skillful man") who lived in East Africa around 2.8 million years ago. But researchers like Jane Goodall have now shown that chimpanzees also shape sticks for specific purposes, for example by removing the leaves to poke for insects in the ground. Even crows without hands are very skilled.
2. We are murderers: According to anthropologist Raymond Dart, our ancestors differed from monkeys in that they were known to be killers. Carnivorous creatures who "forcibly seized living victims, beat them to death, tore their destroyed bodies apart, removed limb by limb, quenched their cruel thirst with the warm blood of the victims and greedily devoured the raw flesh." It sounds like lurid junk literature, but after the terrible horrors of World War II, Dart's article on the "killer ape" theory in 1953 was very well received.
- Start rocks with the volcano
- What is it like to study mechanical engineering?
- Can poems save the world
- Swings the universe
- Who is the best actor on BBT
- Why do I long for the BBC
- Is Lil Dickey the best freestyle rapper
- Is purified water pH neutral
- How is Elastos better than NEO
- How does the gambling house earn money
- Who was Howard Stern's greatest influence
- How widespread is click fraud in RTB
- Can I be admitted without SRM?
- What is the SEC regulation SK
- Why use Shopify
- What kind of diets help with hypoglycemia
- What are the best concert documentaries
- Where did Edward meet Lt Ross
- What is the best esports team
- What's your favorite movie book
- Why does Donald Tump hate Bezos
- Which websites are better than Coursera
- Why do I map colors to numbers
- Who are the providers of data loss prevention