Why is Islam an international religion
Navigation and service content
Type: Article, main topic: Home & Integration
In recent decades, Germany has become more religiously and culturally diverse, primarily due to immigrants from Muslim countries of origin. There are now between 4.4 and 4.7 million Muslims in Germany. This corresponds to about 5.4 or 5.7% of the total population of 82.2 million.
Source: Mila Supinskaya Glashchenko / shutterstock.com
Between 2011 and 2015, around 1.2 million Muslim people came to Germany. A further increase is expected for the following years, but on a smaller scale than in 2015 - the height of the refugee crisis.
Countries of originexternal linkDIK: Figures on Muslims in Germany
to the website
The proportion of Muslims with a Turkish migration background fell from 67.5 percent (2011) to 50.6 percent (2015). Turkey is still the most important country of origin, but every second Muslim now comes from another country.
New Muslim immigrants come mainly from regions of origin that have so far been little represented in Germany: the Middle East, South / Southeast Asia, Central Asia / CIS and Africa south of the Sahara. Most Muslims of Turkish origin have been living in Germany for some time.
Other regions of origin (2015):
- Middle East: 17.1% (2008: 8.1%)
- Southeast Europe: 11.5% (2008: 13.6%)
- Southeast Asia: 8.2% (2008: 4.6%)
- North Africa: 5.8% (2008: 6.9%)
- Southern Africa: 2.5% (2008: 1.4%)
- Central Asia / CIS: 2.4% (2008: 0.4%)
- Iran: 1.9% (2008: 1.7%)
Muslim life in Germany is diverse in terms of beliefs, religiosity, religious practice and origin. Current figures on the faiths of Muslims in Germany are not available. Due to the regions of origin of the new immigrants, however, it can be assumed that Sunnis continue to be by far the largest religious denomination (approx. 75%), followed by Alevis with a proportion of approx. 13% and Shiites with a proportion of approx. 7%.
Mosque communities and Muslim umbrella organizations
According to the DIK study "Islamic Community Life in Germany" (BAMF 2012), at least around 2,350 mosque communities in Germany can be assumed.
An imam is active in around 2,180 Islamic communities. The majority are still being posted to Germany from Turkey on a temporary basis.
The largest Sunni-influenced umbrella organizations are the Turkish-Islamic Union (DITIB, approx. 900 communities), the Islamic Council for the Federal Republic of Germany (including the Islamic Community Milli Görüs, approx. 400 communities), the Association of Islamic Cultural Centers (VIKZ, approx. 300 municipalities) as well as the Central Council of Muslims in Germany (ZMD, approx. 300 municipalities).
There are also other confessional umbrella organizations such as the Alevi Community of Germany (AABF, approx. 100 communities), the Islamic Community of Shiite communities in Germany (IGS, approx. 140 communities) and the Ahmadiyya Muslim Jamaat (AMJ, no umbrella organization).
The German Islam Conference
Federal Interior Minister Seehofer and three Muslim women stand ready for a photo with a cell phone. The mobile phone photographer can only be seen blurred on the right edge of the picture. (Enlargement opens in a new window)Source: Henning Schacht
The Federal Ministry of the Interior launched the German Islam Conference (DIK) on September 27, 2006. This was the first time that a national framework was created for the dialogue between the German state and Muslims in Germany. The Federal Ministry of the Interior invites you to the meetings and moderates the process.
On the state side, in addition to representatives from the federal ministries, there are also specialist ministerial conferences from the federal states and the central municipal associations. On the Muslim side, representatives from ten Muslim umbrella organizations at the federal level have been taking part since 2013.
- How many clothes do shirts last?
- What are the best romance drama anime
- How much does heroin cost in Texas
- Where should I stay when visiting California
- Do bacteria regenerate? If so, how
- Can i drive an ATV in India?
- What are the best organic food receipts
- Psychopaths suffer from obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Can we measure love in terms of neuroscience?
- What is structured cabling
- What is the square root of 750
- Is the DJI Phantom 3 Standard waterproof
- Does having good friends affect your marriage?
- How do I start mobile street photography
- Which is healthier cashews or pistachios
- What Gujrat is famous for
- Everyone gets a hostel at TISS
- The universities will check whether you have been expelled
- How is Vision IAS online course
- Why is a technical word important
- What is the best marriage counseling book
- Can 2 souls communicate in their dreams
- When will Tibet be part of India?
- Everything in the universe is preserved