What are sympathomimetic drugs
SympathomimeticsSympathomimetics are active ingredients that promote the effects of the sympathetic nervous system, a part of the autonomic nervous system. Their effects are based either on direct agonism at α- or β-adrenoceptors or on the indirect increase in adrenaline and noradrenaline concentrations. Sympathomimetics are used, among other things, for asthma and COPD, anaphylaxis, low blood pressure, colds and conjunctivitis.
synonymous: adrenergic agonists, adrenergic agonists, adrenergic agentsProducts
Sympathomimetics are commercially available, for example, in the form of tablets, capsules, granules, injection solutions, eye drops and nasal sprays.Structure and properties
Sympathomimetics are structurally derived from the natural neurotransmitters adrenaline and noradrenaline.Effects
Sympathomimetics have sympathomimetic properties, i.e. they promote the effects of the sympathetic nervous system, a part of the autonomic (autonomic) nervous system.
Their effects are based either on direct agonism at α- or β-adrenoceptors (GPCR) or on increasing the concentration of adrenaline or noradrenaline, for example through interaction with the synaptic vesicles, through inhibition of metabolism or through inhibition of reuptake. A distinction can therefore be made between direct and indirect sympathomimetics.
Sympathomimetics differ in their selectivity for the α or β adrenoceptors and their subtypes.
Their pharmacological effects include ("Fight or Flight"):
- Dilation of the pupil
- Increased heart rate, contractility and conduction speed in the heart
- Decrease in motility and tone in the digestive tract
- Renin secretion
- Central stimulation
Mechanism of action of the sympathomimetics, click to enlarge. Illustration © PharmaWikidosage
According to the specialist information. Sympathomimetics are administered both systemically and topically.abuse
Sympathomimetics can be misused as stimulants, doping agents, anabolic steroids, intoxicants and as smart drugs.Active ingredients
Selection of sympathomimetic agents:
Inhalations, beta2 sympathomimetics:
Injections and Infusions:
Amphetamines and other stimulants:
Low blood pressure:
Decongestant nasal sprays:
Other active ingredients such as the various antidepressants have sympathomimetic properties.Indications
Important areas of application for sympathomimetics (selection):Contraindications
Contraindications include (selection):
The complete precautionary measures can be found in the medicinal product information sheet.Interactions
Drug interactions occur with other sympathomimetic agents and with agents that inhibit the breakdown of the substances (e.g. MAO inhibitors). Sympatholytics can cancel out the effects of sympathomimetics.unwanted effects
Possible adverse effects include:
- sleep disorders
- Central disorders such as headache, dizziness, irritability, nervousness, fear
- Rapid heart rate, cardiac arrhythmias, palpitations, angina pectoris
- high blood pressure
- Gastrointestinal disorders such as nausea and abdominal pain
- Vascular constriction, goose bumps, feeling cold, paleness
- Urinary retention
- Pharmaceutical product information (CH, USA)
- European Pharmacopoeia PhEur
- Specialist literature
- Pharmacology textbooks and manuals
Conflicts of Interest: None / Independent. The author has no relationships with the manufacturers and is not involved in the sale of the products mentioned.
Support PharmaWiki with a donation!
© PharmaWiki 2007-2021 - PharmaWiki provides independent and reliable information about medication and health.
This article was last changed on June 2nd, 2020.
Imprint and data protection declaration
Show products for this page
- What is the keyword in Java Token
- How do Rhode Islanders give instructions
- What is President Trump's Summer Reading List
- Who clogs tires for free
- How did you become a shaman
- Is racism learned at home
- How is it in Qatar
- Why is Hauz Khas famous these days
- What are the basics of modern cosmology
- Can i say good day at night
- What is the evolution of MLMs
- What living things grow very quickly
- Why should I buy the iPhone XS
- How can I counter effectively
- Is Donald Trump a Kremlin agent
- Is a guitar a violin
- Can the authorities arrest outside India?
- So concerned is the sentence grammatically correct
- How do I get to Shoreditch London
- What is a business case study
- What do Greeks think of Bosniaks
- What is the best strategy for WBCS
- Why do you write content for medium
- What is the value of 3 148