Why is the present important 1
English tenses: Present perfect
Free booklet "The Tenses"
In our 24-page grammar special "The Tenses" you get a compact overview of all English tenses. Download now for free and understand the English tenses!
Explanation: Tenses - Present perfect
The present perfect will with have and the third form of the verb formed and used when an act ...
started in the past and continues into the present.
I have lived in Munich for ten years. (I still live in Munich)
John has been learning English since he was at school.
was completed in the past, but its consequences continue to the present day.
Oh! I've cut my finger ... I'm bleeding!
John has broken his leg. He can't play football with you.
Signal words such as since / for (since), recently (recently), up to now (til today), ever (ever), already / yet (beautiful), not yet (not yet) or today (today) suggest that that present perfect must be used.
Especially English learners with German as their mother tongue tend to simple present to use when that present perfect must be used - for example in sentences like "I've lived in Munich for three years". The correct translation is: "I've lived in Munich for three years."
Present perfect With for and since
It is also important since and for to separate cleanly:
- For indicates the duration of an action (I've lived in Munich for three years).
- Since indicates a point in time (I've lived in Munich since 2015).
In German both words are with since reproduced.
Summary: use and formation of the present perfect
1) That present perfect will withhaveand the third form of the verb formed.
2) It is used when an act:
a. started in the past and continues into the present.
b. was completed in the past, but its consequences continue to the present day.
3) Common signal words for that present perfect are:
since / for, recently, up to now, ever, already / yet, not yet andtoday
- What are the languages of a computer
- Which company offers professional translations in German?
- Is naltrexone an antidepressant
- Why are fossils important to geologists
- What would you choose money or satisfaction
- What is absolute integrity
- Why do we learn so inefficiently
- Which programming language surprises you the most
- What is direct marketing
- What is Erlang
- Are community development and social work more complementary
- Why doesn't FedEx deliver to post boxes
- Why don't magnets die like batteries
- What's an MBBS student's worst nightmare
- Can vote Palestinians in Israeli elections
- What is Fana in Sufism
- Can patients outsmart psychiatrists
- Who discovered BODMAS
- Where does the excess water go?
- How does Guru Gita begin
- Cornell University's admissions process is blind
- Is VMware better than VirtualBox
- Did God make the Holy Spirit when
- What is the best esports team