How is the achievement of Socrates used today
The search for ethical principles and the cognitive-ethical parallelism
The Rise of Scientific Philosophy pp 63-89 | Cite as
At this point from Plato's dialogue Meno, which we bring here in an abridged version, Socrates examines the question of whether virtue is knowledge. Just as in an earlier dialogue by Plato, the Protagoraswhere the same question is addressed, Socrates ’answer is not a resounding“ yes ”or“ no ”. Nor can he come to a final answer because he does not use the words “knowledge” and “teach” clearly. Socrates always insists that he never teach, but only help a person to see the truth through their own eyes. His method is to ask questions and the student learns because the questions focus his attention on specific points so that he can find the true answer by focusing on and drawing conclusions from the important facts. Of this type, for. B. learning in geometry; insight into the truth of the geometrical relationships used for proof is always left to the student, and the teacher can only guide him to accomplish such insight. But if the student “learns” as a result of this so-called dialectical method, then it can be said that the person who induces him to learn “teaches”. For if Socrates extended his strange language to geometry and denied that it was teachable (which he sometimes does), it would follow that geometry is not knowledge (a conclusion he does not draw). It therefore seems justified to interpret Socrates' view as meaning that virtue is a form of knowledge in the same sense as geometry can be called a form of knowledge.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Authors and Affiliations
- 1.University of CaliforniaLos AngelesUSA
- One textbook per topic is enough
- How can you transfer data through music?
- Is Paytm a trusted payment gateway
- What do you think of muslin blankets
- On what basis are Twitter accounts checked
- Why is Hampi being ignored
- Should I buy a powerline and WiFi
- Where did the antitrust laws come from?
- Which cricket career has Virat Kohli destroyed
- What is Ethernet and Ethernet IP
- Where are Xavi and Drogba going
- How to say hickey in French
- Does Russia have any colonies
- Which area code is 81
- Are law firms publicly traded
- Is beer batter safe for toddlers
- What kind of food grows in space
- Did you lose money trading?
- Deceives someone of abuse
- Why are there only 7 crystal systems
- What is Turnitin
- How can I learn formal logic
- In math what is 1 out of 11
- Do bacteria live or not