What is bearberry used for?
Bearberry - application, effect, ingredients
Here you will find out everything you should know about the medicinal plant bearberry and bearberry leaves - from the ingredients to the effects and application.
What is bearberry?
Some Indian tribes in North America stuffed their peace pipes with bearberry leaves and other herbs. Bearberry is even more popular with bears, who appreciate their fruits in culinary terms. Due to this fact, the medicinal plant also got its name. In earlier times the evergreen bearberry (uva ursi) was used for dyeing wool and tanning leather. But now the medicinal plant has become rare, which is why the plant is under nature protection.
The real bearberry (Arctostaphylus uva-ursi) belongs to the heather family, just like the lingonberry and, by the way, the heather Bach flower. The dwarf shrub, which grows up to 60 centimeters high, is native to Central and Northern Europe as well as Canada and Siberia. It grows preferentially on heaths, in moors, mountains, but also in dry pine forests. Its egg-shaped, thick leaves are leathery and hang from branches that spread widely near the ground.
The flowering time of the bearberry is from May to June. During the time, the medicinal plant forms whitish-pink flowers that have a bell-shaped shape. The red fruits of the bearberry can be eaten raw, but have a bland, floury taste. After cooking, however, the berries take on a sweeter aroma.
Ingredients of bearberry
The ingredients with medicinal properties can be found in the bearberry leaves. Above all, the plant substance arbutin, which contains the substance hydroquinone, is responsible for the healing effects of the plant. But also the abundant tannins and flavonoids make the bearberry a popular medicinal plant.
Bearberry for cystitis and urethritis
Bearberry leaves have a disinfecting effect that especially develops in the urinary tract. Therefore, they have traditionally been used for urinary tract infections such as cystitis or urethritis with painful urination, frequent urination and abdominal pain. But this herbal remedy can also provide relief for kidney gravel, irritable bladder, bladder stones, kidney stones or inflammation of the kidney pelvis.
The active ingredients contained in the extract of the leaves inhibit the reproduction of bacteria and kill them. With bear grape tea or a high-dose ready-made preparation made from bear leaves such as capsules or tablets, pain when urinating, for example when a cystitis starts, can be alleviated or completely subsided. Bearberry extract, as a home remedy, is a natural alternative to antibiotics in many cases - provided that the symptoms are not too pronounced.
Some sources report that the medicinal properties of bearberry leaf tea are enhanced if you also take baking soda. To do this, you can dissolve 1 pinch of baking soda (sodium hydrogen carbonate) in a glass of water and drink it with the bearberry leaf tea. The baking soda ensures that the urine becomes more basic, which is supposed to strengthen the healing effect.
Bearberry against pigment spots
Bearberry is also a herbal remedy that is used in natural medicine for excessive pigmentation. You can counter pigment spots such as age spots, freckles or melasma (facial spots) with a cream made from bearberry extract.
Application and dosage of bearberry
You can buy dried bearberry leaves in pharmacies, drugstores or online shops to use them to make bearberry tea - for example to relieve cystitis. The tea is also available ready-made in tea bags. In addition, there are ready-made preparations made from the extract of bearberry leaves such as capsules, tablets, coated tablets, tinctures and homeopathic globules. In cosmetics, the high-dose bearberry extract is used as a facial tonic or cream - for example as a hand cream. The medicinal plant is often found in ready-to-use preparations such as capsules combined with other medicinal herbs such as goldenrod.
Bearberry leaf tea
Bearberry leaves are part of many kidney and bladder teas, along with medicinal plants such as birch and horsetail. For a bear grape tea, you take 1 teaspoon of leaves and boil them in 250 milliliters of water for 5 minutes. You can also fill the leaves with cold water (1 cup) and let the tea stand for 12 hours so that almost all of the active ingredient in the tea dissolves. You heat this tea for drinking. In this way, the bearberry leaf tea is also tastier, as the tannins are not dissolved. You can drink 2 to 4 cups of the tea per day if you have urinary tract complaints.
High-dose ready-to-use preparations made from extract of bearberry leaves
Due to the high fluctuations in the active ingredient content, bearberry tea can be too low in dosage. Then it makes sense to take high-dose finished preparations such as coated tablets or capsules. Take 2 of the bearberry tablets or dragees 2 to 4 times a day, and 15 to 25 drops of the tincture 1 to 3 times a day. You can find more detailed information on this in the respective package insert.
Use of bearberry leaves in the kitchen
Compote or syrup is made from the fruits of the bearberry, the berries. The fruit can also be used to make baked goods and jam.
What must be considered when using bearberry? Are there any side effects?
Bearberry supplements should not be taken for more than 7 days. They may not be used more than five times a year.
As a precaution, bearberry preparations such as capsules or tea should not be taken during pregnancy and breastfeeding. It is also not recommended for children under 12. In rare cases, side effects such as skin irritation, stomach pain or nausea can occur. A harmless side effect of bearberry extract is that the urine can turn a slightly greenish color.
- CONTENT: Bearberry leaves (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi, real bearberry). Capsule shell made of HPMC (vegetable capsule shell) 100mg each. Our powders are 100% natural and vegetable! Without additives! Bottled in the Netherlands.
- RECOMMENDED USE: Unless otherwise prescribed: Take 1 capsule in the morning and 1 capsule at noon with a large glass of water. Further information on the effect and application can be obtained from a naturopath, specialist or pharmacist. Internet sources such as video platforms, information pages on the subject of medicinal herbs can also be found in order to make the choice for your daily dosage and application according to age, weight and set goals.
- INFORMATION: If the product does not immediately meet your expectations - consider: Herbal food supplements develop their effects over time.
- CUSTOMER SATISFACTION: Unrestricted customer satisfaction is our priority. If you have any questions, comments or criticism, please contact us. In order to satisfy you and keep you as a customer, we will work flat out on a solution. This is the only way we can IMPROVE and DEVELOP ourselves.
- VITAIDEAL stands for: CUSTOMER SATISFACTION, QUALITY, FAIR PRICES and DEVELOPMENT. We are constantly expanding our range. Please also take a look at the other VITAIDEAL products.
- What can Superman do about kryptonite
- What are the Christian denominations
- Which vehicle has the highest speed
- Is this relationship reflexively symmetrical or transitive
- Will Trump be well received by regular Americans
- What is agro-phobia
- What are the layers
- How to say debt in Italian
- How do I get Intensity in DRDO
- Why did you believe in horoscopes
- Is beer batter safe for toddlers
- What about the infrastructure
- What are three examples of renewable resources
- What is the profit of the bus company
- What is the oldest book in India
- What is the total population size
- What is the reason for the Catholic celibacy
- How would living become a human right
- Can modern metropolises do without skyscrapers?
- Anne Boleyn was a lesbian
- Are the spindle speed and cutting speed the same?
- Why do people boo Melania Trump
- Meshuggah is popular in Sweden
- Should we teach children in Bible schools