What made Henry Molaison's brain so important
Memory: This is how we shape and forget memories
Memory wants to be explored
When we recall a memory, different parts of our brain communicate with each other, including regions in the cerebral cortex that are responsible for processing information; Regions that process our sensory impressions; and the medial part of the temporal lobe, which appears to help coordinate the process. A recent study examined the retrieval of newly created memories in humans: The researchers found that at the moment of remembering, the waves of nerve activity in the medial temporal lobe synchronize with the waves in the cerebral cortex.
Yet many of the secrets of memory remain unsolved. How exactly are memories coded within neural groups? How far are those nerve cells distributed over the brain that code a certain memory? To what extent does our brain activity correspond to our experience of memories? These areas of research could one day provide new insights into how the brain works and how to treat amnesia.
For example, recent research has shown that some memories need to be consolidated again each time they are retrieved. That would mean that the act of remembering would temporarily make a certain memory malleable - it could then be strengthened, weakened or otherwise changed as needed. During such a reconsolidation, memories could be treated more easily in a targeted manner, which could also be used in the treatment of mental illnesses such as post-traumatic stress disorder.
U.S. National Library of Medicine: Memory
Neuroscience - Exploring the Brain, Third Edition
Skill-memory consolidation, Behavioral Brain Research
Memory reconsolidation, Current Biology
Digit-span assessments, Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology
The article was originally published in English on NationalGeographic.com.
- Why are Chinese surnames almost always monosyllabic
- How is the consultation actually carried out
- What is your opinion on Turkey
- Should I ask my client for equity
- Artificial sweeteners satisfy the appetite
- What is a polygenic disease
- What is the Association of Tennis Professionals
- How can Indians still love Aamir Khan?
- What are the modules in ERP
- What does mob lynching do?
- The world is lost without Tupac Shakur
- Will a smart TV replace a desktop
- Why are startups important
- How does tobacco withdrawal feel?
- Are you afraid of perfection
- Link building What is deindexing
- Is purified water pH neutral
- Which restaurants do not accept credit cards
- How was UPSEE 2018
- What do I do with gray water
- What is a beatbox
- Like girls to be followed
- Should I make physical contact while dating
- What makes a fake wedding