What is an EAN number
The EAN Code is an abbreviation for the European Article Number Code and is an internationally recognized and used method for Identification of products and helps to identify them quickly and globally.
EAN, GTIN and barcodes - a more detailed explanation of the terms
An EAN code is printed on retail products such as groceries and, in addition to a sequence of numbers, also consists of a barcode. Since every combination of numbers in an EAN number is unique, the respective product can be clearly assigned and identified.
The Barcode is an encryption of the number and is easy to read and read with a barcode reader, for example at the supermarket checkout. The EAN code is a so-called multi-width code, which consists of bars and spaces, which in turn consist of more than two widths.
In 2009 the term EAN number was replaced by the GTIN (Global Trade Item Number). Even if it has not been used in common language so far, the GTIN is, strictly speaking, the designation for the number, whereas the word EAN is only the designation for the barcode.
Composition and allocation of the EAN numbers
The EAN-13 code consists of 13 numbers and is made up of four different components: The first part with the digits 1 to 3 contains the country code (Germany has 400 to 440). The second part (numbers 4 to 9) contains the assigned number for the respective company from which the product originates. The numbers 8 to 12 form the third part and contain an article number determined by the company.
The last number is the so-called test room, with which the EAN code is checked for correctness. In exceptional cases, products can also be marked with a shorter, 8-digit EAN number if the product itself is very small and the number would take up more than 25% of the area.
In addition to the EAN-13 code, there is also the less common one EAN 128 systemwhich contains additional information such as the packaging size or the color.
In Germany the EAN numbers are replaced by the GS1 Germany GmbH forgive. Companies can apply for the numbers and barcodes there and then assign them to their products independently.
The most important things about the EAN code at a glance:
- 13-digit number and bar code
- Used for the simple and unambiguous identification of products
- Is recognized and used internationally
- Why do veins have thin walls?
- What is an example of breakage
- Is Sinfonia just a mini symphony
- What is viral me
- How much tax does EasyJet pay
- What is the standard JOIN in SQL
- What is the name of the group of birds
- Which Disney character is the most attractive
- Does software or hardware develop faster?
- Can equality exist without freedom
- What is the French translation for another
- How can we use waste flowers
- Do you like to see a show
- Did Krishna die in the Mahabharata
- What are ways to bleach jeans white
- Who can file for bankruptcy in India
- Hillary Clinton is mistreated
- What's your best sneak 100 moment
- What is the opposite of belief
- Are all libertarian SJWs
- Can Meghan Markle be a princess
- Vitamins help my child grow
- What is the name of the male ant
- What is general lighting