What is your favorite castle and why
Favorite castle on the Loire: Villandry
There are more than 800 castles on the Loire, 442 historically significant monuments and 130 parks and gardens, 27 of which have been awarded the label “Jardins remarquables” (remarkable gardens) ...
Impressive numbers that are listed in the press kit. But no castle, no garden, arrives for meVillandry on it. The castle southwest of Tours is the most beautiful for me: a strict, then again playful, surprising synthesis of architecture and garden art.
This is probably also what the 330,000 visitors who walk through the Villandry grounds every year think so. They heaved with it Château et Jardins de Villandrythird place of the most popular Loire castles, just after Chambord and Chenonceau. Villandry is the last great Renaissance castle in the Loire Valley.
The three green plains of Villandry
What I really love about Villandry are the outdoor facilities. Take a look through the window when you tour the castle. The geometric layout, which changes again and again over the course of the seasons, is best seen from above.
Joachim Carvallo restored the ornate green garden kingdom in the 19th century and is bringing the ensemble back to the original layout. It consists of three levels: the kitchen garden (jardin potager), the ornamental garden (jardin d’ornement) and the water garden (jardin d’eau).
Signs between the ornamentally trimmed flowers and bushes explain the origin and meaning of the plants
Every year in Villandry, 250,000 flower and vegetable cuttings are grown in the greenhouses and placed by hand in the beds that frame the low boxwood carrees.
Lined up together, they would cover a distance of 52 km. Twice a year, in March and June, they are planted according to carefully thought out plans. Contrasts of colors, leaf structures and height of growth ensure tension in the bed.
Garden art with vegetables
Villandry is particularly beautiful in the morning or late afternoon when the low-lying light makes the colors shine. Then the stalks of the ornamental chard shine in deep red, the broad leaves of the Bleu de Solaise leek form silvery-violet contrasts. Salad sets accents from tree frog green to bronze red.
Then whimsically shaped pumpkins break up the strict geometric order. The information board reveals that pumpkin stands for fertility.
The cabbage, on the other hand, symbolizes sexual depravity. And yet it was planted in abundance - as a home remedy for hangovers….
In the garden shop on the castle grounds there are many varieties that are planted there, seeds for your home! And my favorite castle is right on the Loire cycle path!
Do you like the post? Then says merci with a virtual tip. Because advertising banners or other promotions are taboo for me. I rely on follower power. Just like Wikipedia finances free knowledge. Support the blog. There are five options. Merci!
In the blog
The Loire Valley of Castles: Here I presented it.
The Loire is France's longest river. And the last one that flows almost naturally from the mountains to the sea. Here learn more!
Cruises are also offered on the lower Loire. Several Loire castles are part of the program. Click for impressions and information here.
In the book
The whole country:MARCO POLO France *
Simply choose from the best and try out new things, is the motto of the Marco Polo travel guides. TheMARCO POLO France * I took over from Barbara Markert many years ago and have updated and expanded it comprehensively since then.
You can look forward to new insider tips and travel destinations, a fresh background and lots of suggestions for adventures for active people and explorers - from light art in Bordeaux's submarine base to hikes under water.
So that you understand France even better, there is of course a lot of background to France and its people. If you like, you can do ithere* order directly.
* By purchasing via the referral link, you can support this blog and keep it free of advertising. There are no additional costs for you. Thank you very much -merci !
You can sleep here *
* By purchasing via the referral link, which is marked with an asterisk, you can support independent journalism and keep my website free of advertising. There are no additional costs for you. Thank you very much - merci!
- Drinking soda every day will lower your IQ
- What's the fastest way to learn
- What is the frequency of PWM
- Why was the Soviet coup of 1991 unsuccessful?
- What does single daily dose mean
- What does Milton Friedmans think of capitalism?
- Is entrepreneurship and innovation inextricably linked
- What power does the universe build up
- How much your grandma spoiled you
- Who was the best Batman
- What's annoying about the Paris climate agreement
- What did Roosevelt think of Churchill?
- How does the Apple file system work
- How many levels are there in Fortnite
- Are there Palestinians under ISIS
- Where is your consciousness contained
- Why is mercury a liquid metal
- What are the Nuremberg Laws of 1935
- Can I pay cash in a hotel
- What alternatives are there to Google BigQuery
- What could you expect from an ENTP
- How is Amity Noida for IT
- What are the best alternatives to Tumblr
- Why do people progress when they use others