If trauma permanently damages the brain
neurology Brain damage: suddenly a criminal - or a genius?
It is now known that Padgett is one of the few people with Savant Syndrome. Savant - that is French and means one who knows. Worldwide there are only about 100 people with this syndrome, which is also known as partial performance or island talent. This means that these people have an incredible talent in a small area, e.g. mathematics. Most of them are autistic and often suffer from severe social deficits. In the case of the other savants, neuropsychological brain diseases or a traumatic brain injury can be the cause of the talent.
Lachlan Connors also developed unimagined talents. After a sports accident, he suddenly became interested in music, began playing piano pieces and composing, although he was never particularly musical. Today he masters 13 instruments and is on the road as a professional musician.
Prior knowledge required
It all sounds incredible and even Hollywood has used this material in a number of films such as "Phenomenon", "Rain Man" or "The Mercury Puzzle".
Prof. Dr. med. Hellmuth Obrig from the Max Planck Institute for Cognitive and Neurosciences in Leipzig does not believe in the theory that a person suddenly becomes a genius. An injury to the brain always means the loss of brain matter. This does not make the brain any more powerful. However, it tries to compensate for the loss.
Neurons are not a program that you can buy in a package. It is a complex network that sits in different places in the brain.Prof. Hellmuth Obrig
Obrig means that there are usually many different strategies anchored in our brain for solving a problem. If one of these strategies is lost, another existing strategy is used to achieve the goal. So far, we were simply not aware of this, because we have always solved the problem in the tried and tested way and it worked that way.
That could have been the case with Jason Padgett too. Because of the accident, his brain found other ways to look at math problems. So he didn't find it out of the blue, his brain has just worked differently since the accident.
- What is the best ping post software
- Have you ever been a Christmas carol
- T-cell leukemia is contagious
- How are cannabis concentrates made
- Arctan equals inverse tan
- Broken promises could lead to trust problems
- What are the dangers of gravity
- Bathsheba Adulteress or Innocent Victim 1
- What is communication 14
- Why did Naruto's children get his whiskers
- What is time reversal symmetry
- You can injure your knees through meditation
- Why does nobody know who developed Bitcoin?
- How's the parking in Pacifica, CA.
- Why do games hate loot boxes
- Netflix is free with Apple TV
- What is a piriform virus
- Who writes wills
- Why are Trump supporters so loyal
- What are the top 10 disabilities
- What are the best computerized films
- Barca will be played again against PSG
- Do you like the Green Bay Packers
- You can take Vectibix without chemotherapy