Do you think the Joker loves Batman
Joker vs. Batman: Zack Snyder reveals cut "Justice League" scene with controversial meme quote
In February 2021, Zack Snyder and the US streaming service HBO Max released a new trailer for "Zack Snyder's Justice League", which, in addition to new impressions from Batman, Wonder Woman and Co., was remembered mainly because of the last few seconds:
It contained the first moving pictures of Jared Leto in his new Joker look. That Leto would slip into this role again after “Suicide Squad” was already known, but a joker sentence from the trailer caused a sensation: “We live in a society”, one Allusion to a common Joker meme.
»" Zack Snyder's Justice League "on Sky Ticket *
In the regular version of “Zack Snyder's Justice League”, which is available here in Germany on Sky and Sky Ticket, the “We live in a society” is missing. However, Snyder had already announced that this line of dialogue could appear in an alternative version of the film - and as he proves with a scene published on Twitter, this is actually the case:
The scene shows the dialogue between Joker and Batman (Ben Affleck) in the post-apocalyptic dream sequence at the end of "Zack Snyder's Justice League" in an alternative, longer version.
While the regular version shows a Joker who is visibly upset by Batman's announcement to slowly kill him, the Joker counters in the version now published by Snyder:
"Honor? Really Bruce? Honor? We live in a society where honor is a distant memory. By the way: who do you think screamed louder? The girl? Or the boy? "
The boy is very likely Robin, whose nickname (“Boy Wonder”) the Joker alluded to before. It's not that simple with the girl: does he mean Harley? Or Lois Lane? Or maybe someone completely different?
Don't miss a restart: FILMSTARTS 'cinema and streaming newsletter »Subscribe now for free!
Since the scene is in black and white, it certainly comes from the so-called “Justice Is Gray” edition of the film, which has been on HBO Max since March 25, 2021. When and how this version will be published in Germany has not yet been determined. At Sky they couldn't give us any information on request. The black and white version may then also be available on DVD and Blu-ray.
»" Zack Snyder's Justice League "on Amazon *
After all, we know why Zack Snyder cut two different versions of the Joker Batman scene. In an interview with Wonder Meg he explained:
“It's an either-or moment. When Batman gives the Harley Quinn speech, you can either go on with 'We live in a society' or we can do it as in the [regular version of the movie]. The society thing is cool […], but I also really liked the broken, taken by surprise, vulnerable Joker. So it's a compromise [...]“
In an opinion article after the publication of the above-mentioned trailer, FILMSTARTS editor Benjamin Hecht described in detail why the “We live in a society” meme was so out of place at this point and shed more light on its use as the motto of the incel movement:
"Zack Snyder's Justice League" & "We Live In A Society": That's why I can no longer take the Joker seriously
* These links are so-called affiliate links. We receive a commission when purchasing via these links or when taking out a subscription. This has no effect on the price.
- Why do we laugh at fire?
- How was your Umrah experience
- What is the tallest mountain in space
- Is local anesthesia safe during pregnancy?
- Which Windows version followed Windows Vista
- Loves God celebrities
- Can portable classrooms be properly air-conditioned?
- How is summer in Kadapa India
- A YouTube subscription is restricted
- What was your worst winter driving experience
- How is a solar eclipse predicted
- How do I get to Brown University
- Why did my father abuse me
- How is Eddie Murphy personally
- The Germans serve beer in jugs
- How do I get more blood donors
- Which universities really give 100 financial support?
- Is consensus logic mandatory in blockchain
- How does the euro rate rise
- What song made Aaron Lewis famous
- How do I stay slim without moving
- Do I need a faster camera lens
- Why should I see Lagaan
- People kill pandas