Cultural anthropology What's wrong with ethnocentrism
The negative effects of ethnocentrism and how to avoid them
Spendlingwimmer, Jiri (2008) The negative effects of ethnocentrism and how to avoid them.
Diploma thesis, University of Vienna. Faculty of historical and cultural studies
Supervisor: Bockhorn, Olaf
Link to u: search
Abstract in German
Summarized in one section, the diploma thesis shows that the Problem of European ethnocentrism or Eurocentrism exists in many areas (history, science, international development, (pre-) judgments of the volunteers, etc.). The diploma thesis also shows that there is not only shadow but also light, that and how a positive integration into the foreign culture is possible. Summary of the individual chapters: Part I: Presentation of the basic data on the socio-economic and cultural context based on source studies at the Universities of Seville and the UCR (Costa Rica) from Costa Rica. In addition, the essential characteristics of the non-governmental organizations and their projects and activities are described. Part II: Explanation of the definition and origin of ethnocentrism based on source studies at the Universities of Seville and the UCR (Costa Rica), supplemented by various examples: the British and French colonization of the "Orient", the "Conquista" and colonization of Costa Rica by Spain, ethnocentrism in anthropology, ethnocentrism of anthropologists, ethnocentrism in development cooperation, various fundamentalisms as symptoms of ethnocentrism. Part III: My field work, which mainly consists of participatory observation and contributions from selected interview partners, includes the following subject areas: - General information about the volunteers and the volunteering in the NGOs in the south of Costa Rica - Identification of the volunteers' ethnocentric behavior - Determination of characteristics related to cultural differences and criticism of the culture the other. - Identifying characteristics that promote positive integration into or adaptation to the local culture. - About the activities for further training and for the promotion of intercultural competence that the NGOs organize for the volunteers. The present study is intended to help the NGOs on the one hand to recognize and solve the problems that arise from ethnocentrism, and on the other hand to serve as a study text, for example in the context of preparatory seminars. In my opinion, research on the subject of "European ethnocentrism" or Eurocentrism at European universities is noticeable due to its extensive lack (at least at the Institute for Ethnology - today: for cultural and social anthropology - at the University of Vienna and at the Department of Social Anthropology at the University of Seville). The present study is a contribution to fill this gap. I have hope that others will use them and will use them in their research.
Keywords in German
Ethnocentrism / Ethnicity / Cultural Anthropology(The PDF layout is identical to the print version of the university thesis.)
Copyright notice: The Austrian Copyright Act applies without restriction to documents that are offered in electronic form via data networks; in particular, according to § 42 UrhG, copies and reproductions are only permitted for personal and private use. For details, see the legal text.
|Edit document (only for administrators)|
- How does air conditioning affect global warming
- Are second cousins related to blood
- What happened to the Seahawks this season
- How can I restore old Instagram stories
- Netflix is free with Apple TV
- What makes you want to give donations
- Is there rock music on Soundcloud
- Why won't Yosemite finish installing
- Atheists are people with low EQs
- How to cook bratwurst
- The culture is changing in San Francisco
- What was Lise Meitner best known for?
- Is HP's sprocket good or bad
- What are great films made from terrible books
- How do I stay consistent and determined
- What is a sexual relationship
- Why don't you watch TV anymore
- Why composites are light
- The neighborhood Google app is available for iOS
- Can a person really change their feelings?
- What is metamodern art
- Why do veins have thin walls?
- Do people deserve this earth
- Offer IIMs mass communication
- What is the current programming language landscape
- What is a successful medical practice
- What is the difference between asexual and aromantic
- Is the cashback concept good or bad
- What is Cristiano Ronaldo's best attribute
- Is NCIS a real federal agency
- What is treasury management in banks
- Can an MCA student do an MBA
- Can the judgment come after the issuance
- What are the different categories of keywords