What if there weren't any potatoes?
Peel the potatoes or not?
While our grandmothers still mainly cooked with boiled or jacket potatoes, it is common practice in modern kitchens to serve our favorite tuber in the shell - e.g. B. as rosemary potatoes or crushed potatoes from the sheet. The belief persists that most of the vitamins are under the skin. But is that really true? And are there solid arguments for or against peeling potatoes?
The fact is that the potato is a nightshade plant and as such contains many vitamins and nutrients as well as poisonous glycoalkaloids such as B. Solanine. These plant toxins are quite normal and protect the potato from pests. The concentration of glycoalkaloids is particularly high on the skin, germination sites and green areas and low inside the tuber.
However, this does not necessarily mean that “Team Peeling” has the right nose and “Team Peeling” has to take a back seat. Because:
Whether a potato contains a high or low concentration of solanine depends, among other things, on how it is stored.
Potatoes stored cold and dark, e.g. B. in a linen bag in the refrigerator, are the clear recommendation here. Furthermore, solanine is heat-resistant, but water-soluble, which means: Cooking does not harm the solanine, but part of it dissolves in the cooking water.
Conclusion: You can eat the potato peels without any problems, but it is advisable to remove green spots and germination spots beforehand.
But are potato peels also healthy? Yes and no. The peel protects the valuable vitamin C in the potato, but in itself has hardly any nutritional values. Jacket potatoes are therefore a good alternative to boiled potatoes. And you can peel them off pretty quickly with a very simple trick.
Nutritional values and vitamins or not, potato peels are too good to throw away. They taste particularly delicious as chips.
- Are exercise equipment good or bad
- Who are your favorite musicians of the 60s
- Has anyone ever masturbated in space
- What is red iron oxide pigment
- Which artist sang the song Sentimental Street
- Where's the FB Page Timeline?
- Why is the Gmail archive not deleted
- Why is America so obsessed with entertainment
- What are some roka outfit ideas
- When are you going to marry someone
- How do hedge funds find trading patterns
- What is the 2045 initiative
- Why should I collect donations
- What does Infosys expect from freshmen
- Which elements can be plasma
- How do Google's machine learning algorithms work
- The biceps increase with only 4 kg of dumbbells
- How do you say good night in Danish?
- Is reality six-dimensional
- What is a System32 folder
- How many people work for the CIA
- How do I cancel my Ancestry subscription
- Many American women wear seam stems
- Actually destroys nepotism in Hollywood