What are the funniest Coursera courses
Are Coursera and edX really free?
The short answer in advance: Yes, in many cases you can use the MOOCs from Coursera and edX learn for free.
However, if you want to receive a course certificate, you have to buy it.
In this article we will explain what that means exactly.
(Jump to all MOOCs in our directory here.)
(More about the user experiences with Coursera and edX.)
The model: Learn for free, certificates are optional
With the advent of MOOCs (massive open online courses) modern online learning became possible. Universities such as Harvard, Stanford or the Technical University of Munich offer openly accessible learning content in modern video format on the platforms (see also: "This is how a MOOC works").
In general, the MOOC model is as follows:
- The Learning content of most MOOCs are free. You have access to the video lessons and discussion forums and can learn independently and flexibly.
- Who, however, a certificate for his online course, this must be paid for separately fee acquire. Online exams are also taken for this purpose. However, certificates can only be acquired when required (no obligation to buy).
In the practice of the providers, different "tracks" are taken depending on the learning objective. Who only learn free of charge and does not need a certificate, the Audit-Variant choose. Otherwise you have to go for the Verified Certificate-Variant enroll.
The certificates finance the operation of the MOOC platforms
At the beginning of the MOOC development, the complete courses including the certificate were often free of charge.
However, since the providers have to finance their educational offerings for learners all over the world themselves in the long term, the paid certificates were introduced later.
That's how you try that Educational mission with a sustainable business model connect to. This freemium model is also common in other industries.
50 EUR for an optional MOOC certificate
The paid certificates are often chosen by participants for two reasons:
- The own motivation is increased to also complete the entire online course.
- One receives a document that is for applications and looks good on your résumé. After all, the courses come from top international universities and the certificates attest to successful participation. ("What do the certificates bring?")
A certificate for one multi-week MOOC often costs then around 50-100 EUR. For particularly needy learners there are even financial relief (Financial Aid with Coursera and Financial Assistance with edX).
In many courses, however, the majority of participants often learn for free, despite the relatively low prices, without buying an additional certificate.
- How do I become a software reseller
- Why do neurons very rarely become cancerous
- How do CROWS towers work
- Can patients outsmart psychiatrists
- How sound creates light
- Singing brings luck
- How can we use waste flowers
- Which websites are better than Coursera
- What are electronic ISO types
- What are the best recipes with cornmeal
- Is big data really valuable?
- Working home remedies
- How do you stop idealizing a crush?
- Should I move the school 1
- What are the landmark papers on scheduling
- What is PERT
- How could Hacker News be improved?
- What sells more books than any other?
- Converse shoes are of high quality
- Why is mercury a liquid metal
- Is the theory of evolution completely correct?
- Why did Google remove my website index
- What is 2 3 7 10 3
- How many users does Svpply