What's found in pens
Stiftung Warentest warns of harmful substances in crayons
Small children don't just paint on paper with pens: some of the paint can end up in their mouths or decorate their hands. With many products this is not harmless. Because as Stiftung Warentest has found out, many pens contain harmful substances.
Expensive painting supplies, few pollutants? It is not that easy. Stiftung Warentest has also found many questionable substances in more expensive pens. Around every third of 35 sets tested was therefore rated "poor": the testers gave this grade twelve times, reports the foundation in its magazine "test" (issue 8/2018).
In addition, seven products were rated "very good", six with "good", nine with "satisfactory" and one with "sufficient". Crayons, fiber pens and ink cartridges were examined.
Colored pencils: These are the test winners
In terms of colored pencils, the products from Faber-Castell (0.75 euros per pencil), Stabilo (0.48 euros), Bic Kids (0.33 euros), Mäc Geiz (0.08 euros) and Depesche (0.41 Euros) all with "good". The most expensive pen in the test (0.79 euros) was, of all things, the worst.
Buy colored pencils from Amazon
Products that contained critical amounts of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in the paintwork or in the mine were particularly negative. Some of them can cause cancer, alter the genetic make-up or endanger reproduction. They get into the body, for example, when children nibble or suck on pens. If possible, parents should use unpainted pens made of natural wood, recommend the product testers.
In some crayons, aromatic amines were also found, which come from the so-called azo colorants. Some of these substances can cause tumors or are suspected to do so. The manufacturers assure that these substances are firmly bound and not soluble in water. However, there is also no risk: none of the crayons rated "good" contain no amines.
A woman holds crayons in her hand: Stiftung Warentest has also found many questionable substances in more expensive pens. (Source: sylv1rob1 / Symbolbild / Getty Images)
Fiber pens and ink cartridges: These are the test winners
In the case of fiber pens, the product testers gave the pens from Edding (0.43 euros), Herlitz (0.15 euros), Mäc Geiz (0.10 euros), Pelikan (0.30 euros), and Stabilo the grade "very good" (0.51 euros) and Stylex (0.13 euros). The use of preservatives led to the devaluation of other products: They can trigger allergies.
In terms of ink cartridges, the testers found only those from Schneider harmless and rated them as "very good" (0.12 euros per cartridge). All other cartridges were rated "unsatisfactory" because they also contained increased levels of allergy-inducing preservatives. When it comes to ink, parents should make sure that children do not paint themselves with it over large areas. If you do, it's best to wash off the ink quickly.
- What color makes blue eyes pop out
- Why does Hierarchical Softmax work
- What did you do in the 90s
- Will this circuit of the FM receiver
- What's the perfect thing to wear things
- You can capture 2D animations with motion detection
- Are Maltese British
- How can language change the world
- How can we live without a condom?
- How does Desoxyn affect blood sugar?
- Is Indonesia facing a deflation problem in 2016?
- Which cricket career has Virat Kohli destroyed
- Why did the Romans attack Israel?
- Why is a technical word important
- What's the most disgusting thing you've done
- Do backlinks really work with SEO
- Banking industry after demonetization
- Is gender science a real science
- What is the most important number
- What makes Instagram unique
- Which shaving kits contain razors?
- What is homeopathic phosphorus agent used for?
- How can we replace all wasteful packaging
- Socrates was a dangerous subversive
- What is MarkLogic University
- What is the religion of Queen Elizabeth
- What is the SI unit of permittivity
- Have you ever been to Seattle, Washington
- What is the optimal temperature on earth
- What do you dislike about your beard
- Why is an Americano coffee called that?
- How secure are the contactless credit cards
- What is the planet Nibiru