Has Intel lost the advantage in the semiconductor process
Intel to be replaced: Apple announces big change in Mac computers
According to reports, Apple will announce a revolutionary innovation for its notebooks at the in-house WWDC conference this month. There are strong indications that the company intends to replace the previous Intel chips in Macs with its own processors.
According to a media report, Apple wants to make the transition from Intel processors to its own chips in its Mac computers official this month. The announcement at the in-house conference WWDC, which begins on June 22, should give app developers the time to prepare for the market launch of the new computers in the coming year, the financial service Bloomberg wrote on Tuesday, citing informed people. From the group itself there is still no information on the WWDC plans.
There has been speculation about replacing Intel semiconductors with chips from Apple for a long time. The Mac manufacturer has successfully developed its own powerful processors for its iPhones and iPads based on the architecture of the chip designer ARM. In Apple's notebooks and desktop computers, however, chips from Intel with the so-called x86 architecture are used - as is largely the case in the PC industry. This ensures the compatibility of applications across the platforms.
Intel got too slow for Apple
In recent years, however, there have been increasing indications that Apple had to slow down the renewal of its Mac product range due to the later availability of new Intel processors. According to Bloomberg, a trigger for Apple's decision was the slowdown in annual performance improvements at Intel. ARM processors are generally considered to be more energy-efficient than x86 chips, which is particularly relevant for laptops and smaller notebooks.
Microsoft and Samsung, among others, already have notebooks with chips based on ARM architecture on offer. However, they cannot fully exploit the potential of the Windows operating system with which they run. The exciting questions about Apple's plans would be whether the macOS system is better optimized for this - and whether the company is introducing a kind of translation technology for apps based on Intel chips.
A blow to Intel's image
The Macs have a share of just ten percent of the PC market. This means that the loss of the business would still be financially bearable for Intel. But it would be a blow to the reputation of the chip giant, which had the PC business firmly under control until now. For the Macs, this would be the third change in the chip platform after the transition from Motorola to IBM's PowerPC in the early 1990s and to Intel in 2005. The time of the announcement could also be postponed, Bloomberg restricted.
The developer conference WWDC, at which innovations in Apple's software are traditionally presented in June, will take place completely online this year due to the corona crisis. The Mac project has the internal code name Kalamata, wrote Bloomberg on.
More articles from this area
The most popular CHIP news
- How much does heroin cost in Texas
- What are Icwai Online Coaching Sites
- Why Do Doctors Marry Doctors In India
- How do I use Advanced in grammar
- What is a food fitness traveler
- Are khaini and cigarette tobacco the same
- What is the future of GoPro
- Why were coffee houses invented
- Can 2 souls communicate in their dreams
- What is Cantor's paradox
- Why are Trump supporters so loyal
- How is SRM Easwari for CSE
- How can I do Tukdam meditation
- What is the withholding tax rate?
- Is the criminal justice a good grade
- What can I do after a PharmD
- How is it in Qatar
- How is SEO Domain in the long term
- Why is my phone not playing videos
- Why are dogs lying on you
- Why is the Sambhar lake salty
- What is Thursday named after?
- Where can I find out everything about UFOs
- Why is the rent so high in Brooklyn
- Do you work
- Why can I learn English well
- What is the practical implementation of arrays
- What is marginalism in business
- Is Google's Host Matching Fair
- What is the most comfortable armchair
- How do I add more phone storage
- SSN College Chennai is a level 3
- Has meditation decreased anyone's concentration?