How is PBS financed without advertising?
Trump endangers US public broadcasting : Now also the "Sesame Street"
US President Donald Trump plans drastic cuts in public broadcasting in his draft budget for the coming year. The government wants to withdraw from the financing of the "Corporation for Public Broadcasting" (company for public broadcasting), said the director of the office for administration and budgetary affairs, Mick Mulvaney. For the coming year, however, grants are still planned to bring the financing process to an end.
The non-profit CPB subsidizes the public and non-commercial broadcasting NPR (National Public Radio) and the public television PBS (Public Broadcasting Service) as well as affiliated local broadcasters. The CPB will receive $ 445 million from the state this year to support the public broadcasting industry. PBS, NPR and around 1,000 radio and 350 television stations are mainly financed by donations from listeners and viewers, donations from endowments and sponsorship from companies and interest groups. PBS President Paula Kerger pointed out again on Tuesday that small broadcasters in rural areas are most dependent on the CPB funds. Some couldn't survive without government funding, she said. The conflict over money for public broadcasting is as old as the CPB, founded in 1967. Republican politicians have often criticized the supposedly overly liberal public media.
Majority of Americans for government funds
According to a February PBS poll, 76 percent of Americans want to keep government grants to public television. According to the annual report of the research institute “Pew Research Center”, the NPR stations recorded around 26 million weekly listeners in 2015. Trump wanted to officially present his first draft budget on Thursday. The Congress will then decide on the approval in the coming months.
Public broadcasting is called public broadcasting in the USA. The structure differs considerably from public broadcasting in other countries, for example the fee-financed in Germany, and corresponds more to that of free radio. Public broadcasting has been coordinated at the national level by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) since 1969. The CPB is a quasi-private, non-commercial company that was established by a congressional law and is largely federally funded. Its purpose is to promote public or independent broadcasting. PBS does not produce any programs itself. All programs are produced by third parties, for example individual member broadcasters. There are many children's programs, the most important example being “Sesame Street”. (with epd)
- How to make a t-shirt
- What are gunas in Indian astrology
- Why we need Unicode instead of ASCII
- Mathematically, why do pixel circles work
- Is it boring to live in the UK?
- Where can I practice the Java quiz
- How much your grandma spoiled you
- How can I get a free boat
- What was Lise Meitner best known for?
- What happened to the Ford Taurus SHO
- Can a mongoose kill a black mamba?
- What types of plants do mosquitoes eat
- How can I learn ANN modeling
- How do you deal with hangover
- Are transatlantic flights harmful to the environment
- How can I restore old Instagram stories
- Which dreadnought guitar is recommended for beginners
- What should a trading computer look like
- What is the name of the study of birds
- Can I trust technical analysis
- When is the NDA 2 2018
- What are some weird things animals do
- Who was Pazuzu according to mythology
- How good are the best forged passports