Is sweet potato okay for dogs?
Sweet potatoes need to be cooked for dogs too
Sweet potatoes are on the rise lately. We love these creamy and sweet potatoes that are also very healthy. But what about the dogs? Allowed to dogs Eat sweet potatoes without hesitation and are they as healthy and digestible for four-legged friends as they are for humans?
Can dogs eat sweet potatoes?
Yes, dogs can eat sweet potatoes. Of course, like conventional potatoes, sweet potatoes also have to be boiled beforehand. You can cut the boiled potatoes into pieces, but you can also feed them pureed.
The puree is also often mixed with coconut oil or other high-quality oils, but also with quark or cream cheese. Dogs who cannot tolerate dairy products love sweet potato puree with coconut cream, soy yogurt or almond milk.
Ingredients in sweet potatoes that are good for the dog
Sweet potatoes are a great source of carbohydrates. If you want to avoid grains in dog food, sweet potatoes are a healthy alternative. Because sweet potatoes contain a lot of beta carotene and provide vitamin B 12 and vitamin D.
But also potassium, calcium and magnesium are sufficiently contained in the great tuber. The high iron content in sweet potatoes is also very positive for dogs. Dogs with anemia in particular should often find sweet potatoes in their bowls.
Possible allergies the dog may develop to sweet potatoes
There are hardly any known allergies to sweet potatoes. On the contrary, the sweet potato is usually fed when an intolerance has to be determined through an exclusion diet.
Benefits of Sweet Potatoes
This tuber is full of important vitamins, trace elements and minerals. The sweet potato is also a source of protein and carbohydrates. The sweet potato is also very digestible and can also be used as a light food.
Dogs with frequent diarrhea and digestive problems respond very positively to sweet potatoes. Even after an illness has been overcome, the four-legged friends can be nursed back very well with the healthy tuber.
If you have an upset stomach, you can prepare a Morosh carrot soup with sweet potatoes. Another benefit is that almost all dogs love sweet potatoes.
Cons of sweet potatoes
For all its advantages, sweet potatoes have only one disadvantage: they contain significantly more sugar than ordinary potatoes and other vegetables.
This is not a problem for dogs of normal weight and an average urge to move around. However, if your four-legged friend is very overweight, then you should not feed sweet potatoes every day.
It would also be advisable to always cook and puree the tuber with other vegetables. Spinach, green salads and herbs are ideal here, but also carrots, celery and pumpkin.
Are sweet potatoes poisonous to dogs?
No, sweet potatoes are not poisonous to dogs. The prerequisite is that you boil, steam or cook the tuber in the oven. Although the sweet potato is not a nightshade plant and is therefore not poisonous when raw, you should always prepare it.
On the one hand, your four-legged friend can absorb and utilize the ingredients better and on the other hand, the cooked sweet potato is much more digestible. In addition, it tastes not nearly as tasty raw.
But it is not a problem if the dog nibbles on a raw tuber. In the worst case, too much can cause diarrhea.
What other foods are similar to sweet potatoes?
Of course, local potatoes and Violetta potatoes take first place here. These are also digestible and healthy for your four-legged friend.
However, our native potato as a nightshade plant is poisonous for dogs raw, especially if the animals catch them in large quantities.
Does dog food contain the sweet potato?
The sweet potato is a popular food for all barers and the great tuber ends up in the bowl several times a week. The dog food industry has of course also recognized this.
We have already tested the following dog foods with sweet potatoes:
Sweet potatoes are now included in numerous varieties, regardless of whether they are dry or wet food. The best-known brands here include Wildes Land, Natural and Wolfsblut.
The food producers Happy Dog and Orijen also offer high-quality dry food with sweet potatoes.
- Worth Amazon
- Any purpose built cities have been successful
- What are the difficulties with blogging
- What quality of life should I have
- How do you clean art glass
- What income does the FAFSA use
- Can you compare health insurances
- How do I make a centrifugal pump
- Which area is better medicine or technology
- What are the cons of REST APIs
- Is reality six-dimensional
- What is a local SEO audit
- What are some good bossa nova songs
- Five plants that are created through selective breeding
- Can glaciers be prevented?
- Yoga reduces sexual feelings
- What does passion fruit look like
- What does DIN mean in Arabic
- Why do people hunt foxes
- Flashes your life when you die
- How does gravity arise
- Which entrepreneur startup boot camp would you choose
- Which website has the best design
- Why does Spain still have a monarch?
- Why is the independence of the judiciary important
- How do I remove pimples after threading
- What is a private rental taxi service
- How profitable is an edible marijuana business
- What is Metal Gear Solid 5 about
- What is the use of a holder
- Which are good quality pants fabrics
- What's so bad about bamboo
- Can I have two NPS accounts?
- How does torture work