Who played Lando Calrissian in Star Wars
Billy Dee Williams as Lando Calrissian in the 1983 movie "Return of the Jedi" (Image: Lucasfilm)
Jump to update: Williams not gender fluid: his comments were misunderstood (5.12.)
Actor Billy Dee Williams came out as genderfluid in an interview with Esquire magazine. Williams said he uses both feminine and masculine personal pronouns to describe himself: "I say 'he' and 'she' because I see myself as both feminine and masculine," said Williams. "I'm a very gentle person. I'm not afraid to show that side of myself."
The 82-year-old is best known for his portrayal of Lando Calrissian in the "Star Wars" films "The Empire Strikes Back" (1980) and "The Return of the Jedi Knights" (1983). In the new blockbuster "Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker" Williams will be back in the role for the first time in 36 years. The film will be shown in German cinemas from December 18th.
Young Lando Calrissian portrayed as pansexual
Actor Donald Glover, who plays the young Lando Calrissian in the film "Solo: A Star Wars Story", made headlines last year. Glover had declared at the start of the film that Calrissian was pansexual (queer.de reported). The 36-year-old actor and singer (Childish Gambino) justified this with the fact that Billy Dee Williams had brought "fluidity" into the portrayal of the character. And anyway, "How can you not be pansexual in space?" Asked Glover.
Williams was apparently unaware of Glover's statement prior to the "Esquire" interview. When asked about this, the 82-year-old said: "Really? The little one is brilliant - just watch his videos." He referred to Glover's megahit "This Is America".
Williams has played in many successful movies and TV productions in his decades-long career, including "Friends until Death" (1971), "Nachtfalken" (1981) and "Batman" (1989). He should also be known to German viewers from his "Trabbi goes to Hollywood" (1991) with Thomas Gottschalk. This film did not earn him any critical praise - in US newspapers the comedy was referred to as a "stupid movie". In addition to his acting, Williams also works as a singer and painter.
Several other stars have already come out non-binary, including Sam Smith and Jonathan Van Ness. (dk)
Update5.12. Williams not gender fluid
The actor feels misunderstood in an interview with the "New York Times" (see queer.de article).
- What are business papers
- The Istari were asexual
- Why are stop signs a hexagon
- What is an LT line
- What does a normal person look like
- What does passion fruit look like
- Can bacteria grow in demineralized water?
- How can Homelander be killed
- Which areas have power outages
- When was Mozilla released?
- Is Persian easier to learn than Arabic
- When was geothermal energy used for the first time?
- Does a television screen only emit photons
- How does the following program work
- How did you get to Princeton
- Typography Which typefaces have nice commercial ampersands 1
- Why is food delicious
- What does El Chapo eat in prison
- What is first aid for a snakebite
- Can provide satellite television internet
- Why do cats love boxes
- Does matter really exist?
- What is Max Rowid in Oracle
- Why are Indians associated with casinos