ArcGIS can be replaced by open source products
Esri ArcGIS Server
This article describes how to connect Tableau to an Esri ArcGIS server and how to set up the data source. The connector also supports connections via the GeoService API.
This connector works with ArcGIS Server (AGS) v10.3.1 and higher.
Note: This connector uses Tableau's Web Data Connector (WDC), which requires an internet connection and the ability to reach https://connectors.tableau.com/esri/arcgis-server/1/arcgis-server.html.
First, collect this connection information:
the URL for the Esri ArcGIS server that you want to connect to
the URL for the GeoService API that points to the data you want to connect to
In Esri ArcGIS Server, ensure that the following conditions are met:
Make sure that data is published to ArcGIS Online and shared as "Public".
Publish your data to a geospatial database to ensure pagination support.
Enable querying for published Esri services.
Establishing the connection and setting up the data source
- Start Tableau and under Connect, select Esri ArcGIS Server. For a complete list of data connections, select More under With a server. Then do the following:
Enter the Esri ArcGIS Server URL for the table you want to connect to.
Use https urls and make them as specific as possible for faster performance. Tableau's Web Data Connector (WDC) framework only supports HTTPS endpoints and scans every service in the instance.
It is best to specify a folder, service, or service layer rather than a root URL. Examples:
Root directory: https://gis.oregonmetro.gov/arcgis/rest/
Service layer: https://gis.oregonmetro.gov/arcgis/rest/services/OpenData/BoundaryData/MapServer/0
On the data sources page, do the following:
(Optional) Select the default data source name at the top of the page, then enter a unique data source name to use in Tableau. For example, you can use a data source naming convention to help other users determine which data source to connect.
Under Table, select a table or enter part of its name in the search field to search for the table.
Drag the table into the work area, then click the sheet tab to start your analysis.
Troubleshooting Esri ArcGIS connections
Because the Esri ArcGIS Server Connector is based on the Web Data Connector (WDC), there are several limitations to be aware of.
- Definition queries are not supported by the Esri ArcGIS Server connector.
- The Esri ArcGIS Server connector does not support live connections and always creates an extract. A workbook package with an ArcGIS connection can be opened in versions of Tableau prior to 2019.4, but you cannot update the extract.
- The connector only searches for MapServer and FeatureServer service types.
- The connector ignores the types esriFieldTypeBlob and esriFieldTypeRaster.
- Esri geometry types are limited to:
- If the ArcGIS Server contains multiple layers or tables with identical names within a service, only one of them will be displayed.
- Editing the connection can lead to an "Invalid map
" error. If so, close the workbook and then reopen it.
The Esri ArcGIS Server Connector uses the open source library arcgis-to-geojson-utils (Link opens in a new window) under the Apache license version 2.0 (Link opens in a new window). A copy of the license is available in the file of the LICENSE repository (link opens in a new window).
- Are IP addresses determined geographically
- How do I create realistic characters
- What are the best puzzles ever created
- Why do we learn matrix in math
- Is paradise a state of mind
- Does the eraser work for the snap gradient
- Who is the oldest living celebrity in the world?
- What is the GST tax ultimatum
- Shorter people feel the heat more
- Why is volcanic rock called extrusive
- Why am I so afraid of rejection
- Why doesn't my stove keep up?
- What does the Vatican sell
- Disk regeneration
- What are your favorite mob films
- Should Donald Trump be murdered
- What is Mission Cosmos
- Birds There are cuckoos in North America
- Biomechanics is a tough class
- What is MarkLogic University
- Is subvocalization a bad thing when reading
- What is the 2045 initiative
- Are US citizens really free?
- What was your most expensive vacation trip