Jesus heard music
Music in the Bible
Although music was not played all the time and everywhere, there was a kind of light music. Martin Peilstöcker explains: "We know from musicians' figures and pictures that the reed flute, lyre and a percussion instrument, for example a hand drum, were often played together." For dancing, people also set the rhythm with cymbals. How the melodies sounded, however, can no longer be said. Sven Lichtenecker, museum supervisor in the Bibelhaus Erlebnismuseum and lecturer at the Goethe University for religious studies, also recalls David: “The Bible tells of David who played the lyre, a harp-like instrument, and not during the liturgy - clearly music for entertainment. “At least as well known as King David are the trumpets of Jericho. One knows relatively certain that the event did not take place. "From history one can conclude, however, that instruments were also used in war to intimidate opponents with the volume - although that could be called noise," both laugh.
The shofar is the traditional Jewish instrument. It is made from a ram's horn with a hole drilled at the pointed end so that you can blow into it. Sven Lichtenecker can play the shofar: “You can't really play melodies. The shofar is more suitable for giving signals. This is exactly what it was and is used for. "Martin Peilstöcker adds:" In the Jewish liturgy it is used, for example, to announce beginnings and ends. "The shofar was used both in the Jerusalem temple and in the small communities. Martin Peilstöcker thinks it is possible that even Jesus blew the shofar. “Customs from the Egyptian area have gradually found their way into the temple. This is how the trumpet came into the temple. It was blown at a certain point on a corner tower of the temple over Jerusalem to announce holidays and prayers, ”reports Peilstöcker. The trumpet was, however, with the destruction of the temple in 70 AD. disappeared.
By Konrad Waßmann
This is how music could have sounded 2000 years ago (2:34 minutes - as mp3)
- What books have you made a great programmer?
- Does Antarctica have a city called Rome
- What is it like to study mechanical engineering?
- The 4th change no longer exists
- What should 12 year olds do
- Will self-driving cars embarrass people?
- What are more songs like spaces
- Are whites the Hebrew Edomites
- Is Dijkstra greedy or dynamic
- Local libraries send fines to collections
- What does Jimin's song Serendipity mean
- India is proud of Zoroastrians
- Is there a vacuum in the universe
- Why should i visit Kuwait
- Could people survive a nuclear apocalypse?
- Learning math makes you smarter
- Can people be born without a face
- How do you do things with paper
- Helps yourself work
- How healthy is lemon meringue cake
- Can helium react with anything
- India and China get along
- What is the capital of Uraguay
- Did the Nazis feel inspired by Nietzsche?
- Does anyone know the global ACCA course
- How long does a flight to Scotland take
- What are the best QuickBooks software tricks
- What is the cutoff of different IIMs
- Is the lunar eclipse worth watching
- Why was the steam train invented
- How accurate is the McDonalds Nutrition Calculator
- How can I develop in biology
- What does LTFU