Is Islam against science
Magic in Islam: Between Faith and Science (July 11-13, 2012)
Magic is the attempt to influence the natural course of things by invoking a supernatural power. The term “magic” refers to the secret powers that ghosts and demons, but also the evil eye or certain actions such as incantations, magic practices, the use of amulets and talismans as well as future prognosis practices. Magic is often opposed to science and religion, although the boundaries between these three areas are fluid.
In Islam, magic presents itself as an imaginative and very complex syncretistic structure in which the above-mentioned basic characteristics are all found again. In addition, magic in Islam is an area in which ancient oriental, Jewish and Christian and genuinely Islamic elements were creatively mixed, and whose practices have been preserved in popular Islamic beliefs to the present day. The “blue eye” to protect against the evil eye, for example, is an almost everyday item in many parts of the Islamic world. Equally widespread is the use of incense to protect against demons. Numerous magical acts in Islam, especially writing and word magic, are to be understood in a mystical-religious context, as in Jewish and Christian popular beliefs.
Under these premises, the aim of the workshop is to question the content, manifestations and practices of actions considered “magical” in Islam and to analyze their intellectual-historical contexts in the mirror of religion and science in folklore, philological and scientific terms.
The workshop was led by Prof. Dr. Ingrid Hehmeyer, (Fellow 2011/12) and Prof. Dr. Sebastian Günther (Seminar for Arabic / Islamic Studies, Göttingen and associate of the Lichtenberg-Kolleg 2011/12).
- Are exams required in high school
- Why do we listen to good advice
- Why are airports so tastefully designed
- Where are Fortis College Credits transferred?
- What credit cards are accepted in Greece
- What is the story of Lord Shiva
- What exactly is a French DUT or IUT
- What was your happiest farewell
- Are sympathy and empathy a weakness
- How can we increase power and torque
- What is 12 5 of a kg
- How will your day be without music
- How has science made us less human?
- What is the best startup software
- What makes a voice pleasant to hear
- Is NCERT enough to crack COMEDK
- What counts as art
- Why do companies collect donations
- How do autistic people feel?
- Is PHP worthless these days JS or PHP
- How do I make my armpit fairer
- Are cemeteries ever moved
- Every death rattles when it dies
- Which website is suitable for online trading