What kind of cafe do you like
You're looking forward to your cup of coffee and then that - the coffee tastes sour! We'll tell you possible reasons why your coffee tastes too sour and how you can avoid them.
1. The coffee is not freshly brewed
Coffee tastes sour if you let it stand too long after brewing. This often happens when you brew too much coffee at once. Would you like to work out how many grams of coffee you need for two, three, ... cups of coffee? Follow the rule of thumb for preparing coffee: 60g to 1 liter of water! Using this rule of thumb, you can individually calculate how much coffee you want to prepare - for example 12g of coffee in 200ml of water (for a 0.2 cup). Here you can find our preparation tips ›
If the grind is too coarse, coffee can taste sour or watery because the coffee is under-extracted. An under-extraction has the consequence that mainly the acids and not the bitter substances are released from the coffee. How to find the right grind for your coffee ›
3. The brewing temperature of the water is too low (below 85 ° C)
Although we do not recommend using boiling water to prepare coffee, the water should not be too cold either. The ideal temperature for your coffee water is 92 ° C - 96 ° C for most types of preparation. If your water is cooler than 85 ° C, the coffee tastes watery to sour. Depending on the temperature of the water, different aromas are released from the coffee. We therefore recommend letting the freshly boiled water stand for a minute or pouring it into another container immediately after boiling, such as the copper kettle from Hario.
As you can already see, the water you use to brew your coffee has a significant impact on the taste of your cup of coffee. If you use soft water (well below pH 7.0), your coffee can taste sour. You can find out what you can do about it here ›
5. The coffee was roasted too lightly for your taste
The coffee was roasted too lightly for your taste. Some Arabica varieties taste more fruity than others. If these are then lightly roasted according to the Scandinavian model, the natural fruit acids are not completely broken down. Find out more about roasting coffee here ›
If you don't like this, try a milder coffee. Like our Limu coffee, which tastes wonderfully full-bodied and is reminiscent of the taste of dark chocolate.
6. The coffee was not roasted gently
The coffee was roasted too hot. This often happens when roasting using the "hot air process", in which the coffee is shock-roasted at high temperatures for a short time. The coffee bean is almost charred on the outside while the acids inside are not completely broken down. When the coffee is brewed, these acids then escape, which can lead to a sour taste. We roast all of our coffees using the gentle drum roasting process so that our coffees taste wonderfully mild. Find out more about roasting coffee here ›
Every year we travel to the growing countries to select the best coffees for the harvest. We gently roast all of our coffees using the drum roasting process in our roastery in Berlin. Convince yourself of their incomparable taste!
Try it ›
You might also be interested in these articles
Your new coffee tastes bitter? We have 5 tips for better coffee.
Learn more >
If your espresso tastes sour, check out our 8 tips.
Learn more >
The following 6 tips will help you against bitter espresso in the cup.
Learn more >
In 10 emails to the coffee expert
For the next 10 weeks you will receive an email from us once a week. You can expect exciting knowledge about the world of coffee, recipe ideas and current trends. The deregistration is possible at any time.
- What is urethral meatus
- How old is Avant
- What's the best senior app
- Why should I be a student speaker
- Are you interested in your pension
- Are sodium and magnesium similar
- Is loyalty a good boy's name
- What facial features show that you are intelligent
- What are facts about the number 27
- Why is my diarrhea light yellow
- What is structured cabling
- What is the best bar in Prague
- Which photo of the Bollywood actress makes you angry?
- Am I sexist for it?
- What is the purpose of the phone
- Grow your own carrots
- Can adopt a stepparent
- Who is the youngest user on Dribbble
- What is a conditional sampling technique
- What software do logo designers use
- When should we start learning AngularJS?
- How do I measure the temperature with 8051
- How would an affair ever be necessary
- BELL Redesign Who designed Bell approx