How long does cognitive behavioral therapy last
Cognitive behavior therapy: procedure and mode of action
Perhaps you too have already dealt with the subject of psychotherapy. If so, then you've probably noticed it different methods gives. Each of them has a different approach and focus. In this post you will learn more about the Cognitive behavioral therapy. It is the most widely studied and most widespread form of psychotherapy.
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy - What is it?
In the Cognitive Behavior (CBT) is it a Combination of cognitive therapy and Behavior therapy. If you now opted for this type of support, it would have a specific goal. Namely that you find out about your Thoughts, attitudes and Aware of expectations become. Specifically, the point is that you are “wrong” and Recognize incriminating beliefs and change. CBT assumes that the importance we give things is stressful. Thus becomes Your well-being is influenced by your thoughts, feelings, and ultimately your behavior.
How cognitive behavioral therapy works
We all have one thing or the other destructive thought patterns. However, if this leads to a mental illness, help is important. Such a thought pattern would be, for example "Over-generalization". A negative event is generalized and transferred to similar situations. Also the "Catastrophization" falls under such patterns. Here exaggerated conclusions are drawn about a worrying event. In cognitive behavioral therapy you will learn Turn destructive thoughts into realistic, less harmful thoughts. You will also learn to control your thoughts. The main goal is you soon again without therapeutic help be able to live.
When CBT is particularly suitable
At Depression, anxiety and obsessive-compulsive disorder as Addictions it is used particularly often. Especially because it is believed that these disorders are closely related to destructive thought patterns. Even with physical illnesses such as Tinnitus, rheumatism, or chronic pain it is used. The aim is always to improve one's quality of life through new ways of thinking. The Cognitive behavioral therapy relies on the here and now at. It is therefore particularly suitable if you want to tackle your problem now. In contrast to psychoanalysis, for example, CBT does not deal in depth with the past.
How cognitive behavioral therapy works
The current problems are discussed in an initial conversation. You can do your Wishes and expectations express. Based on this, a therapy plan and treatment goals follow. It is often part of cognitive behavioral therapy that you write down your thoughts in a journal. Together with the therapist, the following is then looked at: Is your assessment of things realistic?What happens if you act differently than usual in a certain situation? Problems and progress are discussed regularly. CBT is relatively short. Depending on the problem it takes between ten and 30 sessions.
Methods from therapy
Various methods are used in the sessions. In addition to conversations, this includes: Relaxation and Confrontation procedures, imagination exercises and systematic desensitization. In addition, there is always homework between the units. This is how destructive thoughts can be reinterpreted:
- Catastrophize: The worst case is imagined in every situation. Example: "If I quit the job, I will never find a new one." Helpful reinterpretation: "Something new will come up."
- Black and white thinking: Experiences are rated either as good or bad. Example: "If I can't do this, I'm a failure." Helpful Thought: "Even if I can't do it, there are a lot of things I've done well."
- Read minds: The person assumes negative thoughts about themselves to others. Example: "My partner thinks I'm too boring." Useful thought: "As long as my partner likes doing things with me, it won't be."
If you are also caught up in thought patterns, don't be afraid to seek help. If you are honest with yourself: which is better: tackle your problems for ten to 30 hours or suffer for a lifetime?
Photo credits: iStock.com/ilkercelik
- Did Stalin Subhas Chandra Bose really kill?
- Why is Apple not bringing MacOS and iOS together?
- What are the codewords for meth
- How smart was Issac Asimov
- Are tonsils and adenoids important
- What happens when you open chakras
- What's the best mini drone
- What is an example of a homonym
- Why is pipelining difficult
- Why all relationships in life are dynamic
- How did the dueling work
- Had a nickname for Aristotle
- What is the answer for 4 15
- What is the future of MIS
- What are the best packing cubes available
- How would living become a human right
- Are vests in fashion
- How can you break the analysis paralysis
- Is the orbit of Uranus unusual
- Have hand drawings psychological explanations
- What is X x x 3
- Doctors still open individual practices today
- What's your rating of Southern California
- How can I learn statistics intuitively