How many types of articles are there
definite / indefinite article in German
We mostly use German nouns items. On the article we recognize gender (masculine, feminine, neutral), number (singular, plural) and case (nominative, accusative, dative, genitive).
There are indefinite articles (an) and certain articles (that, that, that). Find out here when we use which article and test your knowledge in the exercises.
Indefinite articles are a(masculine, neutral) and a(feminine). We use the indefinite article:
- when we speak of something that is not specified
- Lena is a Girlfriend of lara. (one of several)
- when we mention something for the first time in a text (introductory)
- Lena has a Bought ice cream.
Certain articles are the(masculine),the(feminine / plural) and the(neutral). We use the definite article:
- when we speak of something in particular
- Lena is the Friend of Franz (the only one - they are a couple)
- if we have already mentioned something or assume it is known
- The She likes ice cream very much.
Declination of definite / indefinite articles
Articles and prepositions
If there is a preposition before a certain article, both are often combined into one word. This applies to the following prepositions and articles:
We don't usually use an item for:
- Place names
- they live in Bremen.
- most country names (except e.g. Switzerland, Turkey, USA)
- We are on vacation in Austria.
(but: We are on vacation in Switzerland.)
- Equations with the verbs will be
- It is July.
My brother wants doctor become.
- certain specific skills
- I play piano/tennis.
Leo speaks Japanese.
- Materials / substances (e.g. paper, wood, water, milk, iron), but only in a general context (if we are talking about something specific, an article must be included.)
- paper will be out Wood produced.
We still have to water to buy.
(but:The paper is all./Where is the wood for the fireplace?)
Negative article »no«
The negative article no is declined in the same way as the indefinite article a.
- This is a Ice. → That is no Ice.
- Franz has a Girlfriend. → Franz has no Girlfriend.
To distinguish from no and Not, see sentence structure → negative.
- Free broadband is good business
- How long can we live without a doctor
- Is there rock music on Soundcloud
- Is the Colosseum Rome worth the trip
- Most of the Sindhis in India are Pakistani
- Why shouldn't I hate a person
- What is the Constitution Write its meaning
- Cycling causes cancer
- Where is a WhatsApp programming group
- How do porn actors prevent getting sexually transmitted diseases?
- How professionals design a tattoo project
- Can you eat ginkgo nuts raw?
- Is Las Vegas a good travel destination
- What is the biggest myth about CA.
- Why does schizophrenia develop later in life
- Why do bicycle accidents happen
- Hyperloop is the next big thing
- Which is the best chemical engineering project
- What is the Zoho One company
- Do you understand your cat
- Is the NMAT book enough to crack NMAT
- What are the benefits of binaural
- Make birds wee
- Are doctors indifferent to people's pain?
- Area 51 will be ambushed
- What is the ugliest art ever made
- Why are there no mosquitos in Disneyland?
- Is yupo paper good
- Why do we forget our social responsibility
- What is the best mall
- What makes men introverted
- What was your last Facepalm moment
- How did the Aztecs settle in Tenochtitlan
- Are food additives safe