Who is the best Shivaji or Akbar

The Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya (translated: "King Shivaji Museum"), abbreviated CSMVS and formerly the Prince of Wales Museum of the West Indies, is the most important museum in Mumbai, Maharashtra. It was founded in the early years of the 20th century by prominent citizens of Mumbai, with government help, to commemorate the visit of Edward VIII, who was Prince of Wales at the time. It is in the heart of South Mumbai near the Gateway of India. The museum was renamed after Shivaji, the founder of Maratha Empire, in the 1990s or early 2000s.

The building is constructed in the Indo-Saracen style of architecture and incorporates elements of other architectural styles such as Mughal, Maratha and Jain. The museum building is surrounded by a garden with palm trees and formal flower beds.

The museum houses about 50,000 exhibits of ancient Indian history, as well as objects from abroad, which are mainly divided into three areas: art, archeology, and natural history. The museum houses Indus Civilization artifacts and other relics from ancient India from the times of the Guptas, Mauryas, Chalukyas, and Rashtrakuta.

history
In 1904 some senior citizens of Bombay decided to build a museum to commemorate the visit of the Prince of Wales, future King George V. On August 14, 1905, the committee passed a resolution stating:

“The museum building embodies the pomp and height at which the British raj advanced with her ambitious plans to build the great metropolis of Bombay”. "In keeping with the best of local architecture, many buildings were constructed, the most notable of which were the Bombay High Court Building and later the Gateway of India Building."

The foundation stone was laid by the Prince of Wales on November 11, 1905, and the museum was officially named the Prince of Wales Museum of Western India. On March 1, 1907, the government of the Bombay Presidency granted the Museum Committee a piece of land called the “Crescent Site” where the museum now stands. After an open design competition, the architect George Wittet was commissioned to design the museum building in 1909. Wittet had already worked on the design of the General Post Office and in 1911 designed one of Mumbai's most famous landmarks, the Gateway of India.

The museum was funded by the Royal Visit (1905) Memorial Fund. In addition, the government and community granted Rs. 300,000 and Rs. 250,000 respectively. Sir Currimhoy Ibrahim (first baronet) donated another Rs. 300,000 and Sir Cowasji Jehangir gave Rs. 50,000. The museum was established under Bombay Act No. III of 1909. The museum is now maintained through annual grants from the government and the Bombay Municipal Corporation. The latter pays these grants from the interest that goes to the museum fund.

The museum building was completed in 1915 but was used as a children's aid center and military hospital during World War I before it was handed over to the committee in 1920. The Prince of Wales Museum was opened on January 10, 1922 by Lady Lloyd, wife of George Lloyd, Governor of Bombay.

The museum building is a listed building of the city and was awarded the first prize (Urban Heritage Award) by the Bombay Chapter of the Indian Heritage Society for monument protection in 1990. In 1998 the museum was renamed Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya, the warrior king and founder of the Maratha Empire, Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj. The museum was renamed after the city was renamed in 1995 when the colonial name “Bombay” was replaced by the local name “Mumbai”.

Architecture
The museum building is located in an area of ​​12,000 m² with a built-up area of ​​12,142.23 m². It is surrounded by a garden with palm trees and formal flower beds.

The museum building, built from locally mined gray kurla basalt and buffalo colored trachyte malad stone. It is a three story rectangular structure bounded by a dome on a base that adds an extra story in the center of the building. Built in the West Indian and Indo-Saracen style of architecture, the building houses a central entrance hall over which a dome rises, built up and well “tiled with white and blue spots, supported on a lotus flower base”. A group of battlements with small domes surrounds the central dome. The building has features such as an Islamic dome with a finial, as well as towering balconies and inlaid floors, inspired by the architecture of the Mughal Palace. The architect, George Wittet, modeled the dome on the fortress of Golconda and the inner arches on Gol Gumbaz in Bijapur. The interior of the museum combines columns, railings and balcony of an 18th century wada (a Maratha mansion) with interior Jain-style columns that form the main part of the central pavilion under the Maratha balcony.

In its most recent modernization program (2008), the museum created 2,800 m2 of space for the installation of five new galleries, a conservation studio, an exhibition gallery and a seminar room in the east wing of the museum. The museum also houses a library.

Collections
The museum collection includes around 50,000 artifacts. The museum's collection is divided into three main areas: art, archeology and natural history. The museum is also home to a forestry section that exhibits specimens of wood grown in the Bombay, British India, Presidency, and one with a small local geological collection of rocks, minerals, and fossils. The Maritime Heritage Gallery, which displays objects for navigation, is the "first of its kind in India". In 2008 the museum installed two new galleries showing the “Karl and Meherbai Khandalavala Collection” and “The Coins of India”.

Art section
The art section shows the collections of Sir Purushottam Mavji, acquired in 1915, and the art collections of Sir Ratan Tata and Sir Dorab Tata, donated in 1921 and 1933, respectively.

The museum's miniature collection includes representations of the main schools of Indian painting, namely Mughal, Rajasthani, Pahari and Deccani. It contains palm leaf manuscripts from the 11th-12th centuries. Century to the early 19th century, Pahari paintings as well as paintings from the Sultanate period. Notable manuscripts housed in the museum include Anwar-Suhaili painted in the studio of Mughal emperor Akbar and 17th century manuscript of the Hindu epic Ramayana by Mewar.

The ivory part shows artifacts that date back to the Gupta period. The museum also has decorative artifacts such as textiles, ivory, Mughal jade, silver, gold, and artistic metal ware. It also has a collection of European paintings, Chinese and Japanese porcelain, ivory and jade artifacts. The museum also has sections for weapons and armor and another section for Nepalese and Tibetan art. The arms and armaments section contains a finely decorated armor by Akbar from 1581, consisting of a steel breastplate and a shield with religious verses.

Archaeological section
Sculptures and coins from the Poona Museum in Pune and the collections of the Bombay branch of the Royal Asiatic Society led to the development of an archaeological department with precious sculptures and epigrams. The Indus Valley Culture Gallery houses fishhooks, weapons, ornaments, and weights and measures from the Indus Valley Civilization (2600-1900 BC). Artifacts from the excavation of the Buddhist stupa of Mirpurkhas, were housed in the museum in 1919. The sculpture collection holds Gupta (280 to 550 CE) terracotta figures from Mirpurkhas in Sind of the early 5th century, artifacts from the Chalukyan era (6th 12th century, Badami Chalukyas and Western Chalukyas), and sculptures from the Rashtrakuta period (753th century) - 982 AD) from Elephanta near Mumbai.

Natural history section
The Bombay Natural History Society supported the Museum Trust in creating the natural history section. The museum's natural history section uses community fans and dioramas, as well as charts and diagrams, to illustrate Indian wildlife, including flamingos, great hornbills, Indian bison, and tigers.

New galleries
An exhibition called Pravaha opened on July 24, 2017, showing the early stages of Sir JJ's art school and progressive art movement. The exhibition comprised paintings from the years 1880 to 1950 with works by Pestonjee Bomanjee, Rustom Siodia, Salvalaram Haldankar, Antonio Trindade, SN Gorakshakar, Govind Mahadev Solegaonkar, GH Nagarkar, JM Ahivasi, Raghunath Dhondopant DhopikKimeshwarkar, Raghuveer Govind Kikh Shukla, Abala Rahiman, Keshav Bhavanrao Chudekar, Lakshman Narayan Taskar, Syed Haider Raza and Krishnaji Howlaji Aara.

On January 29, 2015, a picture gallery was opened with an exhibition entitled “Bombay to Mumbai - Door of the East with a View to the West”. The gallery was opened by Neil MacGregor, Director of the British Museum in London, who also gave an illustrated talk on “World Cultures” in the central foyer of the museum.

As part of the renovation project, which began in October 2008, the Krishna Gallery was opened in March 2009, in which works of art by the Hindu god Krishna, a Hindu deity of the god Vishnu, are exhibited.

A textile gallery, the city's first gallery, opened in April 2010. It shows “various textile manufacturing techniques, regional collections and traditional Indian costumes”.

Matrika Design Collaborative is currently designing the museum's Indian miniature picture gallery. The content developed for the gallery is converted into braille and blind labels for the blind with the support of designers, processors and consultants from the Helen Keller Institute.

Galleries
CSMVS Museum has several galleries. They are related to art, history, natural history and Indian culture. They are as follows:

Sculpture gallery
Pre- and Proto-History Gallery
Natural history department
Indian miniature painting gallery
Krishna gallery
Himalayan Art Gallery
Decorative gallery for metal goods
House of the Laxmi coin gallery
Karl and Meherbai Khandalavala Gallery
Chinese and Japanese art gallery
Sir Ratan Tata and Sir Dorab Tata Gallery of European Paintings
Arms and armaments gallery
Jehangir Nicholson Gallery
Premchand Roychand Gallery
Key gallery
First Floor Circle Gallery
Gallery of the second floor circle
European Decorative Arts Gallery
Bombay School Gallery
Jahangir Sabawala Gallery
Textile gallery
Prints gallery
Curators Gallery and Conservation Center

Sculpture gallery
The archaeological collections were originally founded by pioneer archaeologists Sir Henry Cousens and Sir John Marshall. Significant sculptures include the Gupta terracottas excavated by Cousens and bricks from Mirpurkhas, a large number of Buddhist images from Gandhara and ceiling tiles from a ruined temple in Aihole. The early examples are from Pauni and Pitalkhora. Mumbai itself has a rich tradition, which is illustrated by a Shiva and a matriculation from the Baijanath Temple in Sewri near Parel, which belong to the same phase as Elephanta. Other notable images from Maharashtra are a Vishnu and a Ganesha from the 11th century. Some of the famous sculptures are:

Brahma, from the Elephanta Caves
Mahishasuramardini, Drom Elephanta
Shiva, from Parel
Sculptures by Aihole and Pattadakkal
Dvarapala, from Shamalji, Gujarat
Garuda, from Konark
Yaksha, from Pitalkhora
Buddha and devotee of Mirpur Khas
Ashthamahesha Replica Bust

Share with:

  • Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)