Can bacteria survive in honey?
No honey for babies
Whether for sweetening tea, as a spread or for desserts - honey and maple syrup are popular in the kitchen. However, the two sweeteners are not recommended for infants under one year old and can even be dangerous. The professional association of paediatricians (BVKJ) warns of this.
Honey and maple syrup can contain Clostridium botulinum bacteria, which cause food poisoning called botulism. Although this form of poisoning is rare in Germany, it is dangerous due to the high mortality rate. The pathogens cause severe muscle paralysis and paralyze breathing.
The germ poses a particular danger to infants. The bacteria settle in their intestines and can germinate. Babies with infant botulism have weak muscles and can no longer hold their heads. Rattles and snoring noises indicate difficulty breathing. Swallowing and sucking are difficult because the reflexes are weak and more saliva runs out of the mouth. Infected children must immediately receive intensive medical treatment.
Pay attention to hygiene
Temperatures above 100 degrees Celsius render the bacterium harmless. Only foods in which the germ multiplied and spores formed due to poor hygiene are harmful for children and adults. Gases are formed in the process. Therefore, canned food with dents should be thrown away to be on the safe side. Caution should also be exercised with self-made things. Multiple heating kills any germinated spores. The bacteria do not need oxygen and therefore survive in vacuum-packed foods. In order to prevent the formation of spores, the prescribed cooling must be observed.
Authors06/26/2013 | Katrin Stegherr
- Why did Trump apologize to Putin
- Why should a mother kill her child
- Why does blood pressure drop
- What is the real logic behind the research
- What are the effects of cancer
- How does pro wrestling work
- Where is the chupacabra in the undead nightmare
- What does low-dimensional semantic representation mean
- How do jewelers take out loans
- Which hotel should I stay in Goa
- How is the signal-to-noise ratio calculated
- Can a voice actor have a lisp
- What is a Pro-Procuration Signature
- What is the aboriginal name for Perth
- What is the HP Printer Assistant
- What is the spring water
- The college has an obligation to become a doctor
- How to clean shower slate tiles
- Difference between smiling and laughing
- What are inverse problems
- How do you travel with medication
- What were James Monroe's faults
- Do you piss in the shower
- Which wood is good for bed furniture