Is DC transformer possible
Wind Power Journal
(WK-news) - Zurich, Switzerland - ABB has successfully developed and tested a 1,100 kilovolt UHVDC (ultra high voltage direct current) converter transformer.
With the new transformer, which enables the transmission of larger amounts of electricity over long distances, a new world record has been set in terms of the highest DC voltage ever achieved.
With the new 1,100 kV converter transformer, an output of more than 10,000 MW will be able to be transmitted over distances of up to 3,000 kilometers.
For comparison: the power line built by ABB in China between Xiangjiaba and Shanghai was the world's first commercial 800 kVUHVDC link. It has a capacity of 6,400 megawatts (MW) and extends over a distance of just over 2,000 kilometers - making it the world's longest operating transmission line.
A higher voltage level makes it possible to use HVDC technology to transport more power with little loss over very large distances. Converter transformers play a central role in high-voltage direct current transmission and act as an important interface between the direct current line and the three-phase network. During the development of the 1100 kV transformer, various technical challenges had to be overcome, for example in connection with its size, electrical insulation including bushings and thermal behavior.
“This new 1100 kV transformer technology will make it possible to transmit even more electricity efficiently and reliably - at higher voltages, over longer distances and with minimal losses,” says Bernhard Jucker, head of ABB's Power Products division. “Technology and innovation are at the core of ABB's corporate culture. This is another example of our great pioneering spirit. "
UHVDC transmission is a further development of HVDC technology that was pioneered by ABB over 50 years ago. In terms of capacity and efficiency, it represents the largest technological leap in 20 years. With many pioneering developments and over 70 projects with a total transmission capacity of around 60,000 megawatts, ABB is the global leader in HVDC transmission technology.
Transformers are central components of a power grid and enable efficient and safe conversion between different voltage systems. ABB's transformer portfolio includes power transformers, distribution transformers in the form of dry-type and liquid-filled transformers, specialty transformers and related services and components.
ABB is a leader in energy and automation technology. The company enables its energy and industrial customers to improve their performance while reducing their environmental impact. The ABB Group companies operate in around 100 countries and employ around 145,000 people.
- What Are Some Good Matcha Biscuit Recipes
- How was your written exam experience at BARC
- Narcissists are active social media users
- Is it possible to be too introspective?
- Have hand drawings psychological explanations
- Is reality six-dimensional
- When will the Abu Dhabi metro be operational?
- How do people vote without hands
- What is the horse's mane for?
- Sections of the library
- Who is Thomas Kuhn
- What is the frequency of PWM
- Why is cola a popular drink
- What would happen if the tsunami hit Hawaii?
- Has communism ruined Romania?
- What's the greatest number out there
- How does Gruyere taste
- What is a responsible parent
- Unassisted childbirth is illegal in Maryland
- The brain can spontaneously stop functioning
- What screams I'm new to the UK
- How was your startup journey
- How do I remember and learn faster
- Is coaching necessary for CDS