What is the Herxheimer reaction
2 minutes of medicine knowledge: The Jarisch-Herxheimer reaction
The Jarisch-Herxheimer reaction is a reaction to endotoxins. These endotoxins are released after the first administration of an antibiotic through the decay of Treponema pallidum, the causative agent of syphilis. Similar reactions can also occur during treatment of typhus abdominalis (triggered by Salmonella), relapsing fever and leptospirosis.
Clinically, the patients present with increased temperature, chills, nausea, vomiting and headache. In addition, tachycardia, drop in blood pressure, flush, myalgias and exacerbations of the disease-related rash can also be observed. This makes it difficult to differentiate between sepsis, septic shock and allergic (or anaphylactic) reactions, not least because of the clear dynamics of the symptoms, which is why the emergency services and in-hospital emergency medicine are also confronted with these reactions.
Classical for the differential diagnosis in favor of the Jarisch-Herxheimer reaction are the temporal connection to the antibiotic therapy against the mentioned pathogens and the often self-limiting course.
Therapy is carried out through the administration of cortisone, symptomatic therapy and monitoring of the vital parameters so that nothing is missed, taking into account the life-threatening differential diagnoses.
If you liked this post, if you have any questions or comments, please leave me a comment in the social median or contact me via email. I am very grateful for tips, tricks and suggestions on topics that would interest you.
I would also be very happy if we were to look forward to mine too YouTube Channel again.
- What went wrong between India and Nepal
- Is edX a win
- What is the difference between UNIVAC and EDVAC
- Are owls as intelligent as crows
- How does Cassandra work
- Is makeup sex good
- Islam How authentic are the hadiths
- How do our ears make sound 1
- Which country name ends with RLAND
- Are the Peano axioms proven?
- What are the types of animal tissues
- What is the story behind the surname Sharma
- What is Eriksen's future at Tottenham Hotspurs
- What personality disorders do ASOIAF characters have
- Who are some popular anime gay characters
- Organic eggs make a difference
- Is the Alliance's PGDM valid?
- What was your worst experience this Halloween
- How good are AdSense alternatives for making money
- How do I learn MongoDB thoroughly
- What do you think of Peter Thiel
- What are your favorite Mark Cuban quotes
- Are INTJs critical
- How are cannabis concentrates made