What is Cyanogen CyanogenMod or Cyanogen OS
Cyanogen Inc. shuts down, CyanogenMod becomes "Lineage"
The Android distribution CyanogenMod, developed by volunteers, is now called Lineage. The background to this is the continuing agony of the commercial offshoot Cyanogen, Inc. The company announced on Friday in a two-line message that it would discontinue all services at the end of the year. The CyanogenMod volunteer team has had enough of the bad news from Cyanogen Inc., which was detrimental to CyanogenMod due to the similarity of names and financial ties.
"As part of the ongoing consolidation of Cyanogen, all services and Cyanogen-supported nightly builds will be discontinued by December 31, 2016 at the latest," writes Cyanogen Inc. Lapidar, "The open source project and the source code will remain available to everyone who want to create CyanogenMod [versions] myself. " The ailing company has not yet provided any more information. But one can assume that any support with money or programming work for CyanogenMod is history.
CyanogenMod forks on Lineage
The CyanogenMod team reacted promptly: On Christmas Eve, the renaming of the eight-year-old project to Lineage was announced. This is supposed to be more than just a brand change: "This fork will return to the grassroots community effort that CyanogenMod used to identify, while maintaining the professional quality and reliability you have come to expect in the recent past. [...] We will be proud of our lineage as we move forward and continue to build on its legacy. "
Lineage means something like ancestry, gender or family tree. "Proud of our lineage" is also a play on words in the original English that also means "proud of our ancestry".
Last week, CyanogenMod provided the last releases for CM 13.0 with the latest security updates. Work has already been carried out on CM 14.0 and 14.1. All these source codes, as well as the source codes for the older CM 12.1, were uploaded to a Github repository called "LineageOs" on the night of Christmas Day.
Cyanogen Inc.'s Quest for Existence
Cyanogen Inc. has been in crisis for some time. In July, a fifth of the workforce was fired and the offices in Portugal and India were closed. A change of strategy followed in October. The company will no longer develop a complete alternative operating system based on Android, it is said. Rather, the focus is now on dynamic modules called "Mod". These modules can be used by device manufacturers for integration into their own Android system. The mods should ensure better integration of Skype, OneNote or Cortana, among others. The last finished version of the commercial Cyanogen OS will have been version 13 / 13.1.
In November, the closure of the Seattle office was then fixed, which was accompanied by a reduction in staff. Cyanogen Inc. was reduced to the Palo Alto site. At the end of November, Cyanogen Inc. separated from the founder of the Cyanogen Projects, Steve Kondik.
According to the CyanogenMod team, Kondik lost its last advocate at Cyanogen Inc. The suspension of all supporting services was therefore "not unpredictable".
(ds)Read comments (257) Go to homepage
- How do I make a catchy name
- Would you learn from a mentor
- How do you study psychology
- Snapchat has a good ad product
- How do I make a catchy name
- What are the best video editing apps
- How many mistakes are there?
- Why is a daily trading routine important
- Hyperparathyroidism can lead to weight gain
- Which is Ranbir Kapoor's best film
- What is the diagnosis of ketoacidosis
- Which city is richer Shanghai or Mumbai
- Why do people like Egypt so much
- Is purified water pH neutral
- Is there a good avocado smothie recipe
- What are C statements
- Who is the greatest person who ever lived
- Drinking tea relaxes your mind
- How Backwater researches Kerala tourism
- How is the night life in Helena MT
- What is the most valuable asset available
- Is it true that Stalin supported feminism?
- Why do people use multiple phones
- Has anyone tried to use SSD for OCR?