Frequent drinking affects intellectual abilities
Millions of Germans drink a dangerous amount of alcohol. Michael Soyka, who has been researching the consequences of addiction for 25 years, explains how long-term consumption affects the psyche. The specialist in psychiatry and psychotherapy teaches at the university hospitals in Munich (LMU) and Bern and runs a private psychiatric clinic in Meiringen, Switzerland.
Süddeutsche.de: Prof. Soyka, what does alcohol do to people?
Michael Soyka: Alcohol is a cell poison. In the long term, it leaves traces all over the body, including the brain. The frontal lobe, which determines personality and critical faculties, is particularly sensitive to alcohol.
Süddeutsche.de: How is brain damage from alcohol manifested?
Soyka: The ability to react decreases, the ability to criticize diminishes, the emotional life gets out of control - you laugh at things that you might not have laughed about before. The intellectual level drops. With pronounced brain damage, concentration, short-term memory and retentiveness suffer. This can go as far as dementia. Psychoses, delusions or hallucinations are less common. An extreme form is the Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome with complete memory loss.
Süddeutsche.de: What is happening in the brain? Do the nerve cells die?
Soyka: Yes, you can also measure that with imaging methods. The alcohol has a toxic effect on the neurons. In addition, there are liver metabolic disorders and various other factors that affect the nerve cells.
Süddeutsche.de: Do you have to be a heavy drinker or do your brain cells die from a beer after work?
Soyka: It is usually a gradual process. It is assumed that the risk of physical damage increases exponentially with the amount of drink. This means that nothing happens for a long time at low doses, but then the risk increases massively. Ultimately, it is not possible to say with certainty when the critical threshold has been exceeded. We researchers can only make statements about a statistical risk. I think anyone who has been drinking a lot for five to ten years usually has some brain damage. Of course there is always a patient who drinks a bottle of vodka a day and has no brain damage. But that's the big exception.
- How do I write a project overview
- Have you ever lied about being pregnant?
- Do women prefer female men
- What are sympathomimetic drugs
- How many songs usually have a musical
- What tourists in Illinois scream
- Why did Hanumanji go back in time
- What makes pure mathematics pure
- Why is it so easy to sin?
- Abs are really useful
- How did walnuts get their name
- What makes you strong in difficult times
- How can I think in terms of business
- Was Itachi a Kage level shinobi
- Does software or hardware develop faster?
- How did you develop your dissertation topic
- What is walls io
- Where can I practice the Java quiz
- Has your roommate seen you naked?
- What is the largest pistol ever produced
- What methods of death penalty are still used?
- Via hypokaliaemia, it is a curable disease
- Is considered ex paramilitary as ex soldiers
- Where can I meet expats in Lagos