Gary Johnson is an anarchist
by William Dalrymple
Synopsis: ONE OF PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA'S FAVORITE BOOKS OF THE YEARNAMED A BEST BOOK OF THE YEAR BY The Wall Street Journal and NPR “Superb ... A vivid and richly detailed story ... worth reading by everyone.” -The New York Times Book Review From the bestselling author of Return of a King, the story of how the East India Company took over large swaths of Asia, and the devastating results of the corporation running a country. In August 1765, the East India Company defeated the young Mughal emperor and set up, in his place, a government run by English traders who collected taxes through means of a private army. The creation of this new government marked the moment that the East India Company ceased to be a conventional company and became something much more unusual: an international corporation transformed into an aggressive colonial power. Over the course of the next 47 years, the company's reach grew until almost all of India south of Delhi was effectively ruled from a boardroom in the city of London. The Anarchy tells one of history's most remarkable stories: how the Mughal Empire-which dominated world trade and manufacturing and possessed almost unlimited resources-fell apart and was replaced by a multinational corporation based thousands of miles overseas, and answerable to shareholders, most of whom had never even seen India and no idea about the country whose wealth was providing their dividends . Using previously untapped sources, Dalrymple tells the story of the East India Company as it has never been told before and provides a portrait of the devastating results from the abuse of corporate power.
- Who competes with aws
- How does a rupee devalue
- What is a power set example
- Is Eminem in a gang
- What is a penalty for defamation
- What is cell surface specialization
- Who can donate to Quora
- Which color goes with navy and white
- SMS is more popular than calling
- Scientists believe in religion
- How do you become a hostage taker
- Learning math makes you smarter
- Are people with autism uncoordinated
- How Search Aggregator Websites Make Money
- What screams I'm lower class in England
- What is Thursday named after?
- Did Bill Gates owe you some money?
- Why do most cyclists hate e-bikes
- Does a television screen only emit photons
- How do you increase your energy at noon
- Why is personal identity so complicated
- Is local anesthesia safe during pregnancy?
- What does it mean that this is a police matter
- Is India Heaven or Hell?