Which websites are better than Coursera
EdX vs. Coursera: Which MOOC Platform Is Better?
MOOCs (massive open online courses) promise flexible access to education.
Coursera and edX are the giants of the MOOC platforms with a total of over 50 million online learners.
Who are these providers exactly? And which platform is the best?
(Jump to the edX and Coursera courses here.)
Coursera: Private learning platform with more than 37 million participants
Coursera was born in 2012 founded by two Stanford professors and with more than 37 million users worldwide it is the largest platform in this area.
In collaboration with universities and companies, Coursera offers a wide range of online courses from computer science to natural sciences to personal development.
Over 150 partner institutions, including elite universities like Yale, Stanford and Princeton, often deliver high quality courses.
Because Coursera privately financed there is a clear long-term profit-making intention.
This results in two clear trends:
- More and more course content is behind a Paywall hidden.
- Coursera is increasingly focusing also on corporate customers. A large number of new users can be acquired at once via company accounts.
Even so, much of the content is still there available free of charge. And individual learners find thousands freely accessible video courses for self-study.
(You can find a detailed Coursera profile here.)
EdX: Harvard spin-off with a social conscience
EdX was named - also in 2012 - by the elite universities MIT and Harvard founded. In contrast to Coursera, however, edX works as a nonprofit organization.
Over 100 renowned partner universities provide courses for over 14 million edX learners, including the universities in Oxford, Zurich and London. In Germany there are partnerships with, among others, the Technical University of Munich and the RWTH Aachen.
The functionality is similar to Coursera. There are free learning opportunities as well as paid course series.
In addition, some courses from edX can be obtained from Completion of a Masters Credit at a cooperating on-site university (MicroMaster).
(You can find a detailed edX profile here.)
- How does the UK electoral system work
- What are some tips for learner drivers
- How does aspirin react with NaOH
- What screams I'm new to Tokyo
- Aphrodite died
- How are scientific models used
- How do lunges and squats help
- How can someone inspire you
- All Leo Privacy functions are free
- Can residents of PoK apply for Indian citizenship
- How can I program RAM
- What is log a b 1
- Why am I paranoid about narcissists?
- What is President Trump's Summer Reading List
- What is an operation used for?
- Can India ever grow
- How can I get a free boat
- How beautiful is your partner
- What is the origin of vitamin C.
- Will the community ever be available on Netflix?
- What is a snubber network
- At what age can a pilot retire
- How do people enter the ISS
- Why do some Americans drive big vehicles
- What is work in BCA
- What is YouTube Red
- Is something stable
- What is this robotic arm reference
- How to enable WebSockets in Firefox
- What's the longest receipt you've seen
- What are educational standards
- What is a never trumper
- What band reunions were great to happen
- How Hitler and his family died