How can beta plus decay be possible
Beta plus decay
In addition to beta decay, in which a neutron decays into a proton, an electron and an anti-neutrino, there is also the decay of a proton into a neutron. A positron, the antiparticle of the electron, and a neutrino are generated. Since the resulting positron has the same properties as an electron of beta radiation, but has a positive charge, the positron radiation is called Beta-plus radiation designated.
Beta-plus decay can only occur within an atomic nucleus. A free proton is lighter than a neutron and therefore cannot decay into a neutron and other particles. So the energy of a beta plus decay comes from the atomic nucleus. The resulting core must have a little less energy than the original core.
The weak nuclear force, mediated by w bosons, is responsible for the beta plus decay.
In beta-plus decay, the atom transforms into another element. The new element is one atomic number lower in the periodic table, it has one less nuclear charge.
The positron produced in the beta-plus decay will very quickly annihilate with an electron from normal matter. This creates two photons with very characteristic properties. In medicine this is used for diagnosis. This imaging process is called Positron Emission Tomography (PET).
© 1999-2020 Joachim Schulz - Only real on www.Quantenwelt.de
Last change: 07/12/2004
- What is the binder in concrete
- Why is real analysis important
- What is a short circuit
- What spiritual power are you doing
- How does Java 10 compare to Scala
- How often do you wear tights?
- How is the class related to data abstraction?
- The Himalayas are still growing
- What does a motherboard cost
- What's your rating of Stranger Things
- What is NMOSD
- Porcupines are born with quills
- How is thread synchronization possible in Java
- Role of genetics in plants
- How can you learn breathing exercises
- What motivates you to always improve yourself
- Computer science just means coding
- What is the cutoff of IOCL
- Why are beetles always in the bathroom
- How do I use Advanced in grammar
- How to clean shower slate tiles
- Which beer is better barley or wheat
- How do I print on doormats
- Greetings are always returned in the military