Why is the UK supporting Greece
The civil war in Greece
After the Second World War, the Greek communist resistance movements protest against the restoration of the monarchy, which is supported by Great Britain. For the British, the Greek monarchy is the best way to keep the country in their zone of influence. After a positive referendum, King George II returned to his country from his exile in Cairo in September 1946. The communists, who are supplied directly by Yugoslavia and by the Soviet Union via Bulgaria and Albania, start a civil war and proclaim a provisional government in Epirus. On December 3, 1946, Greece filed a lawsuit with the United Nations Security Council. It accuses its three neighbors to the north of running guerrillas against its national interests.
From 1946 to 1949 there was repeated bloody fighting between the communists and the government forces, who received massive military and financial support from the British and later from the Americans, who feared that in the last state in the Balkans that was not yet under Soviet Rule is established, a people's republic is also emerging. As a neighboring country to Turkey, Greece is a strategic zone and an economic area of paramount importance to cut off the path of Soviet supremacy in the eastern Mediterranean and to protect the oil reserves in the Middle East. The United States pledges to uphold the country's independence and territorial integrity by urging political leaders to establish a government of national unity and implement economic reforms. Greece is also receiving Marshall Plan aid and is gradually joining the Western system; In 1949 it joined the Council of Europe and in 1951 it became a member of NATO. Through Tito's break with the Soviet Union, the communist underground fighters lose their most important source of supply, which forces them to give up in October 1949. The end of the communist uprising in Greece, which killed more than 50,000 people, also marks the end of the Soviet advance in Europe.
- Will self-driving cars embarrass people?
- Has your boss ever invited you?
- What should people eat
- Why is the South Pole protected
- What does vesting price mean
- What do you dislike about your beard
- What is litigation and arbitration
- The Torah forbids homosexuality
- Does VAT apply to a grocery invoice?
- What makes the Gotham font so special
- Is patience an overrated life skill
- What does low-dimensional semantic representation mean
- How were macaroni and cheese discovered?
- How are vegan meat substitutes so realistic
- How do I improve my writing Thank you
- Could you deal with living off the grid
- Will atheism cause the collapse of civilization?
- Should I pay cash for a house?
- Why is it so easy to sin?
- What is a configuration 1
- Which is better b pharmacy or management
- How is Forward PE calculated
- How good are Forever Living products
- What exactly is a neuroendocrine tumor
- Are second cousins related to blood
- Are algae considered healthy?
- What are the basics in automotive engineering
- What kind of oxide is water
- How does the brain control the brain
- How does the gambling house earn money
- Why stop at t two year contract
- Why are there no mosquitos in Disneyland?
- What would artificial lungs consist of?
- What is the best MBA college in Vizag