You can drink beer while taking diclofenac
Tablets, drops & Co - do they "get along" with food?
Food, beverages or supplements can affect the effectiveness of certain medicines if they are not taken sufficiently. Both a reduced and an increased effect of the preparation is possible. This can also lead to dangerous adverse drug effects or increase unpleasant side effects. This is especially true for food supplements with their concentrated ingredients.
If, like many older people, you are dependent on taking medication, we are here to give you useful information on what to look out for when taking it. In addition, it is essential that you follow the instructions on the package insert for your medication. If in doubt, it is better to ask too much at your pharmacy, especially if you are taking several medicines or over-the-counter food supplements.
Ingestion sober - what does it mean?
Certain drugs, e.g. B. Thyroid hormones (L-thyroxine / levothyroxine) to compensate for an underactive thyroid, should if possible be taken on an empty stomach, i.e. 30 to 60 minutes before a meal and preferably only with tap water. There should be a period of two to three hours between taking thyroid hormones and consuming foods or dairy products that contain minerals.
If you have Parkinson's, you should L-dopa / levodopa-containing medicines Take 30 to 60 minutes before a meal. The absorption of the active ingredient levodopa is severely restricted by proteins from food. If this is not possible, postpone high-protein (protein-rich) meals to the evening in order to ensure that the drug works as consistently as possible throughout the day. Do not take levodopa with cottage cheese, yogurt or pudding.
Taking with meals: Beware of fatty foods and fiber
Many medicines can and should with meals be taken.
However, the following applies to very high-fat meals: You can delay gastric emptying. As a result, the active ingredients reach the small intestine late, where most drugs are absorbed by the body. The medication will work later.
The opposite effect is also possible: Due to the prolonged action of stomach acid, certain active ingredients are absorbed more quickly in the small intestine. This concerns inter alia. Medicines for water retention (Spironolactone and Hydrochlorothiazide) and the cholesterol-lowering drug Lovastatin.
It is therefore advisable not to take medication too high-fat meals.
High fiber foods are healthy and should be consumed regularly. Nevertheless, z. B. Metformin (Means for the treatment of diabetes mellitus) and Digoxin (in the case of heart failure) should not be taken with foods rich in fiber, as active ingredients can partly be bound to fiber and are then no longer available to the body. The result may be a weaker drug effect. Similar effects threaten Activated carbonwhich is often used as a coloring agent in black foods these days.
Food with potential for interaction
Grapefruit and pomelo
Grapefruit and their relatives, the pomelos or grapefruit, contain substances that inhibit the action of certain enzymes (CYP 3A4). These enzymes are necessary for the inactivation of numerous active substances. Consuming the usual amounts of grapefruit already significantly increases the effect of numerous drugs. This also happens if there is a long time lag between eating grapefruit and taking the drug.
Under no circumstances should you consume foods containing grapefruit (e.g. juice) if you are taking cholesterol-lowering drugs (Atorvastatin, lovastatin, simvastatin), Sedatives (so-called benzodiazepines such as Diazepam or Lorazepam), Calcium channel blockers (certain medicines for high blood pressure and other heart diseases) and medicines used to treat erectile dysfunction and pulmonary hypertension ("pulmonary hypertension"), which PDE-5 inhibitors, take in.
Since grapefruit and foods containing grapefruit are not a necessary part of the diet and many medications are affected by these interactions, you should avoid consuming grapefruit and pomelo if you are taking medication or if you want to clarify with your doctor or pharmacist whether you are on grapefruit and pomelo should be avoided.
Calcium-rich foods such as milk and dairy products
Milk and milk products contain calcium and caseins, which make up the protein part of milk. Both components have the property of entering into chemical bonds with the active ingredients of certain drugs. As a result, less active ingredient can be absorbed in the body, which significantly reduces the effectiveness of your medication.
You should therefore: never with milk and milk products taking: bisphosphonates (medicines for osteoporosis with alendronic acid or zolendronic acid) and also certain antibiotics (tetracyclines and fluoroquinolones).
In particular, bisphosphonates should also not together with calcium-rich mineral waters or calcium-enriched fruit juices be taken, even if they are generally recommended as part of a healthy diet.
In addition to its intoxicating effect, alcohol has a high potential for interaction with many drugs. Particularly relevant for seniors: When taking longer-term Ibuprofen, Diclofenac and Acetylsalicylic acid (ASA) Alcohol increases the risk of developing gastric and duodenal ulcers. So if you take medication with these active ingredients, e.g. B. for joint problems or to prevent a stroke, you should drink wine, champagne or beer as little and as rarely as possible.
- Food like cheese, yoghurt, salami, soy products, red wine, chocolate and dried fruits contain a lot of tyramine. You shouldn't be along with MAO inhibitors (e.g. Tranylcypromine, Active ingredient against depression), as dangerous blood pressure crises can occur (serotonin syndrome).
- Goji berries and pomegranate juice are considered superfoods in this country, but should not be consumed if you Vitamin K antagonists, so-called coumarin derivatives such as Marcumar®(Phenprocoumon) or Warfarin (Coumadin®) which are used as anticoagulants. You can significantly increase their effect, the risk of bleeding increases.
If you take vitamin K antagonists / coumarin derivatives, you do not have to do without vitamin K-containing vegetables such as lettuce, broccoli and spinach as part of a varied mixed diet. Only drastic changes in diet ("salad diet") should be discussed in advance with your doctor, as a large increase in the consumption of foods containing vitamin K can lead to a weaker effect of coumarin derivatives.
- Coffee, black and green tea contain tannins that reduce the effectiveness of many drugs against depression and other psychotropic drugs by up to 80%. This seriously jeopardizes the success of the therapy.
Other types of tea such as rose hip or chamomile tea do not carry this risk and are therefore an alternative.
Medicines like Ciprofloxacin (an antibiotic), Cimetidine (a stomach acid inhibitor) or Prednisone (a glucocorticoid / cortisone) can lead to a poorer metabolism of the caffeine in coffee. So your coffee has a stronger or longer effect and can cause you sleepless nights under certain circumstances.
- When consuming pomegranate products and taking sexual enhancers (PDE-5 inhibitors) or anticoagulants ("Blood thinner") a longer time interval should be observed in order to exclude dangerous changed effects.
- What is the biological meaning of life
- How were pillars built in water
- What are the positive qualities of conservatives
- Smart people always feel young
- What's your rating of Jacksonville Jaguars
- Why is silicon such a common material
- What makes TVF Kruege an instant success
- Are the Swedish police inefficient in solving crimes?
- Why are clothing sizes not standardized
- How about Super Bowl Week
- What are the best Bollywood films 1
- How can I avoid being too needy?
- Why do people tolerate early school leaving laws
- How good can society get
- There are famous artists from Texas
- The hearing loss disappears
- Where is the chupacabra in the undead nightmare
- Is there an online shopping mall in Kabul
- SharePoint development is for losers
- What is CFS in shipping
- What are the benefits of interlocking stones
- Is the dissolution of NaCl exothermic
- Who is Montana's worst enemy
- What was the riskiest operation of World War II
- What are some popular bass songs
- How does Desoxyn affect blood sugar?
- How did Steve Rogers survive
- Is Bitrefill Legal In India
- What are intelligent transmitters
- Why are lawn mowers so slow
- How does the gravitational force come about
- What are the mountain gorillas hunted for?
- What does honor mean to your husband