Why is emotional pain so devastating
Mental abuse as bad as physical
"Contrary to what was thought, all forms of abuse have similarly serious consequences - emotional as well as physical," says David Vachon of McGill University. The consequences ranged from behavioral problems, developmental disorders and aggression to fears, depression and trauma - even in children who were “only” exposed to psychological cruelty.
The psychologist used data collected through the Mt. Hope Family Center. Summer camps for children between the ages of five and 13 who came from difficult family backgrounds had been held there over a period of more than 20 years. Around half of the approximately 2,300 children were victims of emotional or physical abuse. The scientists compared these with any psychological and behavioral disorders. It showed that the psychological damage caused by emotional abuse was just as devastating as by physical abuse.
"It is a widespread cruelty that is also far less punished than other forms of child abuse," says Vachon. The psychologists call for greater awareness of the issue of emotional abuse and for the victims to be given appropriate therapeutic help.
Emotional abuse manifests itself primarily within partnerships and in the parent-child relationship, but is also possible in all other interpersonal relationships. It's much more common than physical violence - but just as destructive. Emotional abuse permanently undermines self-esteem and causes lasting fears. Previous research has shown that emotional abuse, especially in children, leaves scars in the brain: Among other things, it disrupts brain maturation. The children bear the consequences for a lifetime.
Examples of emotional abuse are behaviors like
- Deprivation of love
- Ignore to punish
- Disparagement ("How can you be so stupid?")
- Intimidation through aggression
- Excluding joint activities
- emotional blackmail ("If you do that, I don't love you anymore.")
Source:David D. Vachon et al .:Assessment of the Harmful Psychiatric and Behavioral Effects of Different Forms of Child Maltreatment, JAMA Psychiatry; October 2015
- How does borne interest work
- Is yupo paper good
- Which algorithmic trading companies use Scala
- Which are the industrial areas in Chennai
- What is the Kuvera Mutual Fund
- Is it worth it to suffer
- Who is your Least Favorite NFL Player?
- Elon Musk will buy and delete Facebook
- Should I study medicine or creative writing?
- How is the API key generated
- Why did Gandhi believe in Satyagraha
- What did you do in the 90s
- Are Americans worthy of freedom
- Most fibromyalgia patients have neck pain
- Is physics important for computer science
- What is special about the Czech Republic
- When does a body turn
- America is irrelevant
- Are your friends conservative or liberal?
- What does it mean to accept life
- How does Spotify Premium work
- Can art students learn data analysis
- What makes a woman look aloof
- How was your startup journey
- What do financial believers mean
- What does MSG contain
- Testo capsules are extremely safe
- Why do people say the seven seas
- Who gives us the right to marry
- How do I crack FTRE class 10
- Is love supposed to be so irritating
- Why did Uber stop wavering
- How do I protect the Facebook Ad Manager