Is ace high or low in poker
Poker hands value
Straight flush from ace to ten.
Ace of Spades King of Spades Queen of Spades Jack of Spades 10 of Spades in the same color. Also called "Broadway".
Five consecutive cards of the same suit.
Five consecutive cards of the same suit. The highest combination of the straight flush is the royal flush, the lowest is A-2-3-4-5 (the ace as low, or high / low). This combination is known as the "Steel Wheel". Another type of straight flush with special names is:
- King of Clubs Queen of Clubs Jack of Clubs 10 of Clubs 9 of Clubs - Off Broadway (because it is one rank lower than Royal Flush, also called "Broadway")
Four of a kind
Four cards of the same value.
Also known as four of a kind. Many of the Four of a Kind hands have their own names:
- King of Clubs King of Diamonds King of Hearts King of Spades - Four Horsemen (of the Apocalypse)
- Queen of Clubs Queen of Diamonds Queen of Hearts Queen of Spades - Village People (four women)
- 10 of Clubs 10 of Diamonds 10 of Hearts 10 of Spades - Larry, named after Larry Fortensky, Elizabeth Taylor's eighth husband
- 4 of Clubs 4 of Diamonds 4 of Hearts 4 of Spades - - Yacht Club (due to the similarity of the four to a sail)
- 3 of Clubs 3 of Diamonds 3 of Hearts 3 of Spades - Forest (because of the four "trees")
- 2 of Clubs 2 of Diamonds 2 of Hearts 2 of Spades - Mighty Ducks (since the two look like ducks)
A threesome and a couple.
Full house is also called "X over Y" because X is the three and Y is the pair (e.g. in A-A-A-Q-Q one would say "full house, aces over queens").
Full house is sometimes called a boat or full boat. When it is called Boat / Full Boat, it is proclaimed as "X full of Y" (e.g. A-A-A-Q-Q would say: "Full Boat, aces full of queens." Some full house hands have special nicknames:
- Ace of Clubs Ace of Diamonds 2 of Clubs 2 of Diamonds 2 of Hearts - Sagittarius (bow and arrow)
- 7 of Clubs 7 of Diamonds 7 of Clubs 4 of Diamonds 4 of Hearts - Sailing rednecks
- 3 of Clubs 3 of Diamonds 3 of Clubs 2 of Diamonds 2 of Hearts - Nits and Lice, Mites and Lice
Five cards of the same suit.
Any five cards that are the same suit. A flush of hearts is also known as a "Valentine's" and a flush of clubs is known as a "golf bag".
Five consecutive cards.
Five cards in a row (but not all of the same suit as it would be a straight flush). Also known as a run (in many combined games, such as gin and the different variants, cribbage and canasta. A straight is based on a run and has been carried over to the game of poker).
- 6 of Clubs 5 of Diamonds 4 of Hearts 3 of Spades 2 of Clubs - Rabbit (lowest straight flush when aces are high)
- 5 of Clubs 4 of Diamonds 3 of Hearts 2 of Spades Ace of Clubs - Wheel, Bicycle, Bike, Spike, First Street, Little Wheel (the lowest run when aces are low or high / low)
Three of a Kind
Three cards of the same value. Also known as trips, a set, or triplets. Three-card combinations with special names are the following:
- Ace of Clubs Ace of Diamonds Ace of Hearts - Beatles Réunion
- King of Clubs King of Diamonds King of Hearts - Three Wise Men, Christmas Special (both hints of "Three Kings"), Alabama, Night Riders, Ku Klux Klan (KKK is an abbreviation for the Ku Klux Klan and "Alabama Night Riders" is a slang term used for this group of people who historically have done a lot of night-time activities in rural areas)
- Queen of Clubs Queen of Diamonds Queen of Hearts - Six Tits
- Jack of Clubs Jack of Diamonds Jack of Hearts - Hart, Schaffner and Marx (Three Jacks)
- 10 of Clubs 10 of Diamonds 10 of Hearts - Dallas to Fort Worth (the I-10 connects the two Texas cities), San Jose to Gillroy, Gillroy, Thirty Miles of Bad Road (the distance between San Jose and Gillroy, California was once 30 miles, although the two cities are only adjacent)
- 7 of Clubs 7 of Diamonds 7 of Hearts - 21, Slot Machine, Jackpot (all named after the results in other casino games such as Blackjack or Slot)
- 6 of Clubs 6 of Diamonds 6 of Hearts - The Devil, The Beast, Lucifer, Devil's Area Code
- 5 of Clubs 5 of Diamonds 5 of Hearts - Washington Monument, Pork Chop Sandwiches
- 4 of Clubs 4 of Diamonds 4 of Hearts - Grand Jury
- 2 of Clubs 2 of Diamonds 2 of Hearts - Huey, Dewey and Louie (three ducks)
Two pairs of two cards each of the same value. Well-known names of couples are:
- Ace of Clubs Ace of Diamonds 8 of Clubs 8 of Diamonds - Dead Man's Hand (arrow and noose)
- King of Clubs King of Diamonds Queen of Clubs Queen of Diamonds - Mommas and Poppas
- King of Clubs King of Diamonds 9 of Clubs 9 of Diamonds - Pair of Dogs (because of K9K9, two fangs)
- Queen of Clubs Queen of Diamonds 3 of Clubs 3 of Diamonds - San Francisco Waiters (Ladies with Trays)
- Jack of Clubs Jack of Diamonds 5 of Clubs 5 of Diamonds - Jackson Five, Motown, Rock and Roll
- Jack of Clubs Jack of Diamonds 3 of Clubs 3 of Diamonds - Hookers with Crabs (because of the hooks of the jacks and the three, horizontally resembles a crab)
- 9 of Clubs 9 of Diamonds 8 of Clubs 8 of Diamonds - Olsmobile
- 9 of Clubs 9 of Diamonds 6 of Clubs 6 of Diamonds - Dinner for Four
- 3 of Clubs 3 of Diamonds 2 of Clubs 2 of Diamonds - Socks and Shoes, Mites and Lice, Mits and Mites, Nits and Lice
Two cards of the same value. The single pair poker hand that is very noteworthy is Princess Leia (A-A-2-3). This is so because the room in which Leia was locked in Star Wars was A-A-2-3. The most famous names given to the couples are:
- Ace of Clubs Ace of Diamonds - Pocket Rockets, Bullets, American Airlines
- King of Clubs King of Diamonds - Cowboys, King Kong
- Queen of Clubs Queen of Diamonds - Bitches, Double date, Canadian Aces, Siegfried and Roy
- Jack of Clubs Jack of Diamonds - Fish Hooks
- 9 of Clubs 9 of Diamonds - German Virgins (you don't know why)
- 8 of Clubs 8 of Diamonds - Snowmen
- 7 of Clubs 7 of Diamonds - Sunset Strip, Hockey Sticks
- 6 of Clubs 6 of Diamonds - Route 66
- 5 of Clubs 5 of Diamonds - Speed limit
- 4 of Clubs 4 of Diamonds - Magnum, Sail Boat
- 3 of Clubs 3 of Diamonds - Crabs
- 2 of Clubs 2 of Diamonds - Ducks
Although the highest card is the lowest possible hand in poker (every poker hand automatically contains a "highest card", which is the card with the highest value), it is played more in some variations of poker than in others. Newbies to poker often underestimate the value of the highest card.
Texas Hold'em, for example, is often seen as the highest card game, as the player with the highest card always has an advantage. If player 1 has K-Q and player 2 has J-10, there are three possible outcomes:
- The flop makes player 1's hand and player 1 wins.
- The flop makes Player 2's hand and Player 2 wins.
- Neither hand makes the flop and player 1 wins again.
The player with the highest card has a statistical advantage and will win 63% of the time.
Well-known names given to the pocket hands are:
- Ace of Clubs King of Diamonds - Big Slick, Anna Kournikova (looks good, never wins!)
- Ace of Clubs Queen of Diamonds - Big Chick
- Ace of Clubs Jack of Diamonds - Black Jack, Jass-Ace
- King of Clubs Queen of Diamonds - Royalty, Marriage
- King of Clubs Jack of Diamonds - Kojak
- Jack of Clubs 5 of Diamonds - Jackson Five
- Queen of Clubs 3 of Diamonds - Gay Waiter
- 9 of Clubs 5 of Diamonds - Dolly Parton
- Ace of Clubs 8 of Diamonds - Dead Man's Hand (the player Wild Bill Hickok was shot in 1876 after winning with this combination!)
- King of Clubs 9 of Diamonds - Canine
- Jack of Clubs 4 of Diamonds - Flat Tire
- Boys find pubic hair unattractive in girls
- Do you belong to Gwalior
- What is animatronics
- Why does Vyvanse make me anti-social
- How to fix a dislocated arm
- What color goes with the pink top
- Madonna is a decent guitarist
- Is a nuclear war really scared
- Know a basic French language
- How can I get a free boat
- Why is Aguero underestimated in world football
- How does Obamacare ACA affect chiropractors
- How do I write a combustion equation
- What is Sonora CA known for
- How do buildings affect organizational behavior?
- TOP INSTITUTE FOR MSBI TRAINING IN BANGALORE
- Sport is a kind of art
- How do queen crab legs taste
- Why is there no iPhone 9 1
- What is an online betting website
- Will the economy be automated
- What is 5 4 5 4 5
- What is the most inspiring French film
- Why is terahertz radiation blocked by water?