Which is more acidic phenol or methanol
to directory mode
Alcohols: acidity and basicity
Similar to water, alcohols are both weak acids and weak bases. They can both take up and release protons. The self-dissociation is weaker than that of water.
Accordingly, protonated alcohols (oxonium ions) are very strong acids and deprotonated alcohols (alcoholates) are very strong bases. The acidity of alcohols is defined like that of inorganic acids:
Compared to the typical inorganic acids such as HCl or H2SO4 or carboxylic acids such as acetic acid are alcohols very weak acids:
- Tab. 1
- Acid strength of alcohols
Methanol and ethanol are just as strongly acidic as water. tert-Butanol is an even less strong acid, i.e. the conjugate bases methanolate and ethanolate are similarly strong bases as OH-, while tert-Butanolate (CH3)3CO- is about 2 orders of magnitude more basic.
In the laboratory, these bases are usually produced in a reaction immediately before they are used by dissolving metallic sodium in an excess of the corresponding alcohol.
tert-Butanolate is also commercially available in its pure form (white powder). Not only is it more basic than methanolate (MeO-) and ethanolate (EtO-), but because of the bulky tert-Butyl group is also less nucleophilic. It is mainly used when nucleophilic substitution is to be suppressed as a disruptive side reaction compared to deprotonation.
Phenols are stronger acids than methanol and ethanol. The negative charge in the anion can be delocalized over the benzene ring, thereby stabilizing the phenolate ion:
- How to extract cannabidiol
- You can build your own rocket engines
- What are the types of anarchist theories
- What does NA mean in grades
- How can you explain psychological pain
- Your vets will take care of your pets
- How was Africa imperialized
- Is sodium a mixture
- Why should i visit Kuwait
- Why doesn't my stove keep up?
- How do you tease a girl
- How did the Trinitarian herbalism begin
- What can I do with 1 USD
- Who is Eddie Murphy's girlfriend
- Why isn't Sonos releasing more products?
- Why are hippos violent
- What is the Ribhu Gita
- Enforcement is a word
- What are the types of political organizations
- What is insanity
- How does armor-piercing ammunition work?
- Why is a free electron called that?
- How can I avoid one-sided relationships
- Did Spironolactone Help Your Hair Regrowth