How do I multiply two numbers
Written multiplication allows you to multiply larger numbers. How this procedure works is explained below. Examples including exercises with solutions complete the explanations.
First a small note: If you have problems understanding this article, it could be due to your previous knowledge. To brush up on these, you should read through the articles Basics of Multiplication and Written Adding and do the associated exercises. This knowledge is required for the further article.
Important: There are two ways to carry out the written multiplication. We introduce both of you here. Choose the variant that you think is easiest or that is given to you by the teacher.Show:
Variant 1 of the written multiplication
Now we come to written multiplication: The aim of this article is to Multiplications such as solving 12x30. I will now do the math here first - as well as a second example - and then explain the procedure below the calculation.
And that's how it works. Example 1:
- The two numbers are written next to each other and a multiplication sign is written between them. A line is drawn underneath.
- Then the first number is multiplied by the first digit of the second factor, in German: 12 · 3 = 36. The 36 is written under the 3.
- The same for the last digit: 12 · 2 = 24. This number is written under the 2.
- And now it is added in writing. Digit by digit, from back to front: 4 + 0 = 4; 6 + 2 = 8 and 3 + 0 = 3.
- So 12 * 32 = 384.
And the whole thing for example 2:
- The result of 23 * 14 is searched. The two numbers are written down again and a multiplication symbol is placed between them. Another line drawn underneath.
- Now the first digit of the second number is again taken into account and multiplied. Say 23 · 1 = 23. This number is written under the 1.
- The same game for the last digit: 23 · 4 = 92. The number is written underneath, as shown above.
- Then it is added again in writing. The answer is 322.
Written multiplication with more digits
Of course, the written multiplication also works for more than two digits. Two examples follow to illustrate this. But first a little tip: Always write the larger number backwards. So do not calculate 322 · 12, but 12 · 322. That simplifies the calculation.
Here, too, the explanations. For example 1:
- The first digit: 10 3 = 30
- The second digit: 10 · 2 = 20
- The third digit = 10 * 1 = 10
- Now additions are made again in writing. The result is 3210.
And now the explanations for example 2:
- The first digit: 18 2 = 36
- The second digit: 18 1 = 18
- The third digit: 18 0 = 0
- Now additions are made again in writing. The result is 3780.
Written multiplication variant 2
Let us now look at a second variant of written multiplication. Here, too, we proceed bit by bit to calculate the solution.
- 5 · 9 = 45, write the 5 and note the 4
- 5 · 2 = 10, 10 + 4 = 14, write the 4 and note the 1
- 5 4 = 20, 20 + 1 = 21, write the 1 and note the 2
- 5 5 = 25, 25 + 2 = 27, write the 7 and note the 2
- Write the 2 at the beginning
- 8 · 8 = 64, write the 4 and note the 6
- 8 6 = 48, 48 + 6 = 54, write the 4 and note the 5
- 8 4 = 32, 32 + 5 = 37, write the 7 and note the 3
- 8 · 8 = 64, 64 + 3 = 67, write the 7 and note the 6
- 8 · 2 = 16, 16 + 6 = 22, write the 2 and note the 2
- Write the noted 2 at the beginning
- Calculates 28468 · 1 using the usual calculation method from the previous examples and writes the result down so that the last digit is under 1
- Calculates 28468 · 6 using the usual arithmetic method from the previous examples and writes the result down so that the last digit is under 6
- Performs written addition (0 + 8 = 8, 8 + 0 = 8, etc.). So add the places on top of each other.
I recommend that Work on exercises. Written multiplication can only be learned well by practicing tasks.
Who's OnlineWe have 411 guests online
- Do you prefer fan fiction or fan art
- What is a MITM attack
- How do you travel with medication
- Germany was the last nation to respect itself
- Does a voltage stabilizer require a grounding
- Did God make the Holy Spirit when
- Why doesn't YouTube optimize URLs for SEO?
- Are you aware 1
- There is pollution from electricity generation
- We all live in denial
- Is America really a religious nation?
- How was your trip to Poland
- What is smart technology in healthcare
- Why do camels always run towards Mecca?
- What role does JIRA play in agile
- Where will the satellite crash
- How can I move my AFSB date
- Why do you hate your HR department
- Are newspaper titles in italics when writing essays
- Can be reversed wet cement
- Meshuggah is popular in Sweden
- Seth GS is a private medical college
- Why did NBC cancel Law Order
- How should a growth marketer be compensated