Why are neurotransmitters important for the nerve impulse
Neurotransmitters: messenger substances in the brain
The place where nerve cells communicate with each other is the synaptic cleft. This is located between two ends of nerve cells, the so-called synapses. A synapse is structured as follows:
- At the end of the nerve cell that transmits a signal to another is the presynaptic membrane.
- The nerve cell that receives a signal has a so-called postsynaptic membrane.
- The synaptic gap lies between these membranes.
Signal transmission in nerve cells © Axel Kock
An electrical nerve impulse cannot simply jump over this gap, but needs a “messenger” for its message. This is the job of the neurotransmitters. These biochemical transmitters are stored in small vesicles in the presynaptic nerve endings. An electrical signal sets them free. As a result, they reach the adjacent nerve cell via the synaptic gap. There the chemical is translated back into an electrical signal. All of this happens in a few milliseconds. The neurotransmitter is then broken down again or transported back to the original nerve cell and taken up there (resumption, reuptake). Typical neurotransmitters are e.g. serotonin, noradrenaline and dopamine. However, there are also neurotransmitters that inhibit signal transmission, such as GABA.
- Why do some people feel uncomfortable around dogs?
- How different is CGI from animation
- What is a pointer to a pointer
- Power makes us immoral
- How many Erdogan supporters want Sharia law
- What are some uses for Blender software
- Cultural anthropology What's wrong with ethnocentrism
- What does the slang term airtight mean?
- What's the best song by Gwen Stefani
- Who are the best Twitter app designers
- Why do Americans love democracy
- Who sings the song Leaving Las Vegas
- What is Thursday named after?
- How is the physics in the human body
- A Butuan is an island
- Is it waterproof or not
- Can you copyright a creative idea
- Can I do two courses in ITI
- How can I design a microprocessor
- What is machine learning and its benefits
- What if Sakumo never died
- What is a JVM language
- Who is Vo Nguyen Giap in Vietnam
- Can AI develop AI with higher intelligence