Who is your favorite performance artist
The German performance artist Ulay is dead. He died on Monday night at the age of 76 in Ljubljana, as a close colleague confirmed on Monday.
First the magazine "Monopol - Magazin für Kunst und Leben" reported about his death. Ulay was a long-time partner of the artist Marina Abramovic, with whom he caused a sensation with bizarre actions beyond the art world. So in 1988 the two walked around 4000 kilometers on the Great Wall of China to meet each other, only to then part forever.
"It was with great sadness that I learned of the death of my friend and ex-partner Ulay today," wrote Abramovic on Instagram. He was an exceptional artist. "It is comforting to know that his art and legacy will live on forever."
The Frankfurt Schirn dedicated a large exhibition to the artist, who was actually called Frank Uwe Laysiepen, in 2016. In the early 1970s Ulay photographed transvestites, marginalized figures, addicts and homeless people on the streets of Amsterdam. That was felt to be highly inappropriate at the time, "Monopoly" wrote in an appraisal.
Ulay was also one of the pioneers of "Body Art". He used tattoos as a theme in Polaroid photos when this type of body jewelry was still part of the world of sailors and prisoners.
In 1976 Ulay temporarily stole Carl Spitzweg's masterpiece "The poor Poet" from the Berlin National Gallery for artistic reasons. He recorded the "theft" in photos together with Marina Abramovic. The artist couple placed the "Armen Poeten", one of the favorite pictures of dictator Adolf Hitler (1889-1945), in the apartment of a Turkish guest worker family in Kreuzberg - and informed the director of the National Gallery that he could now look at the picture in a new setting.
This article was automatically imported from our old editorial system to our new website. If you come across display errors, we ask for your understanding and a hint: [email protected]
- Will China conquer America
- Which city is richer Shanghai or Mumbai
- Should I do Zumba every day
- How do I do Pjoengjang naengmyeon
- What were the achievements of the Inca Empire
- How is Elastos better than NEO
- Are intentional communities prone to failure
- How are dinosaur reptiles
- Why do companies collect donations
- Why Most Indians Hate Nigerians
- Is yupo paper good
- What singers like James Hetfield sing
- Can helium react with anything
- How does WhatsApp generate sales 3
- How does someone know they have schizophrenia?
- Is Daenerys religioes
- How do I strengthen my mother
- Which file format will be out of date
- Was one of the Ramones doing well?
- What is the need for primer
- Gone are the days of wired communication
- How are the girls in the cafeteria
- What are some examples of brass instruments
- Can a company fully manage a community?