A wild boar tastes wild
Wild boar properly prepared is a sumptuous taste experience. (Photo by: natureimmortal / fotolia.com)
The hunting season for wild boars takes place mainly in the second half of the year.
Before wild boar meat goes on sale, it is examined for trichinae like slaughtered domestic pigs.
The dark red meat is very juicy, aromatic and spicy, especially young animals (14 to 24 months) are tastier and easier to prepare due to the tender meat.
The Fat percentage in the Wild boar meat is significantly less than pork, but more fat than deer or roe deer. The fat makes the roast juicy. Due to the constant movement in the woods, the muscle structure is firmer than that of domestic pigs.
A roast wild boar provides per 100 grams:
- Energy value (KJ or kcal) 320 kJ / 77 kcal
- Protein 13
- Carbohydrates <1.0 g
- Fat 2.5 g
The meat also contains numerous vitamins and essential minerals such as potassium, magnesium, niacin, etc.
Purchasing and storage
From July to the following January you can buy fresh roast wild boar in game shops and hunters.
When purchasing wild boar meat, care must be taken that the animal is not in the "Intoxication time“, The mating season of wild boars, was shot. Otherwise the meat can have a very penetrating gender-specific taste.
Fresh wild boar meat can be recognized by the strong dark red color. Under no circumstances should it shimmer black or smell unpleasant.
If you don't want to eat the meat right away, you can store it in the freezer for up to six months, in the fridge the meat holds up to the maximum 1 week. Any visible fat should be cut off from the meat before freezing. Despite being stored at minus 18 degrees Celsius, the fat tends to go rancid.
Cuisine, preparation and specialty
These wild boar spare ribs are an absolute highlight in the game season. (Photo by: exclusive-design / fotolia.com)
The wild boar meat is perfect for home cooking weakened and dismantled bought:
- Neck: for roasts or braised meats or as a steak for quick roasting
- Costal arch: the removed meat is used for ragouts or rolled meats
- Shoulder: for roasting in gauze or for ragouts and goulash
- Shoulder bones: is suitable for game stock
- Move: for roasts or braised meats or as a steak (T-bone style) for quick roasting
- Fillets: from the bottom of the back for frying or for medallions
- Club: smaller pieces can be fried whole
- Upper, lower shell, nut: as schnitzel and steaks or for wild boar ham
- Knuckle: suitable for braising and stews
There are also very seldom Offal to buy - for example, fried liver with fried onions is very popular. As a rule, however, they do not come from the wild population, but from gate keeping.
Rookies, the young offspring among the wild boars, are also named after the kind of Suckling pigs grilled whole.
Tip: A perfect pot roast can be obtained from the meat of the back muscles of older animals. Legs, on the other hand, can be prepared with steaks or roulades.
Click here for ours Wild boar recipes.
Whether as a large roast or as wild boar pepper - wild boar meat is often placed in a Stained. This makes the meat of adult animals more tender and tasty.
- For the marinade, celery, carrots and onions are diced, a tablespoon of oil is added and a strong red wine is poured over it.
- The marinade is seasoned with garlic, a bunch of thyme, pepper and salt, a bay leaf and a clove.
- The meat can be soaked in the broth for up to three days.
Rating: Ø 4.0 (37 votes)
- Is it boring to live in the UK?
- What made Henry Molaison's brain so important
- What is IPv6 Customer Edge Router
- What is L + ornithine hydrochloride
- When do vitamins make you sleepy
- Create a file on Linux
- Can I improve my English by translating?
- When is a handshake appropriate?
- Can anger destroy a person completely
- Which sports show the best athleticism
- Is perfection a perception
- A Nomedia file is a virus
- What is Denver famous for
- Vsauce is very good at math
- Which institute is best for ETL tests
- How should a growth marketer be compensated
- Any advice on pre-military training
- What is power electronics
- Which are good quality pants fabrics
- What rocket launched the Apollo program
- All homes have cockroaches
- Was the second separation easier to manage
- Who is responsible for changes
- How does Ubuntu help programmers