How loud is the sun
How loud would the sun be?
Sir Cumference's contribution is a very interesting answer, but I am afraid it is wrong. The sun's surface is clearly in motion, but this does not necessarily result in the emission of audible sound, even if the sun and earth are in a liquid medium (such as air) that would allow sound to be transmitted.
To explain why, we can actually apply the same line of analysis to the Earth's ocean. The surface moves a lot, so sound should be emitted. However, we don't hear anything unless you're very close and have crashing waves.
Let's do some rough math: the ocean has a surface area of about 510 million square kilometers. 150-1012m2. Suppose the average wave height is 1 m and the average wave frequency is 0.1 Hz (1 wave every 10 s). If the ocean were a spherical source it would produce a sound power of 5⋅1024W. and the sound pressure at 1000 km distance would be 240 dB SPL. That is obviously not the case, otherwise we would all be dead.
So why not In order for sound to actually radiate, the surface must move evenly. For every ocean wave that moves air up, there is a wave nearby that moves air down, so the contributions are simply canceled. Technically, we need to calculate the power by integrating the normal intensity over the entire surface. The intensity has equal amounts of positive and negative components and the sum over them is zero.
That's the same reason you put a speaker in a box: outdoors, air movement from the front of the cone and the back of the cone simply cancel out, so you put it in a box to get rid of the speaker sound from behind .
I think the real answer here is: you would hear absolutely nothing as the sound contributions from different parts of the sun's surface would cancel each other out. Sound radiation over this distance would only occur if the sun's surface moves uniformly, that is, the entire sun expands or contracts. This happens to a certain extent, but only at very, very low frequencies that are inaudible and at which the sound radiation is much less efficient.
- Why are insects not accorded
- What is a FV432
- Who sings the song Flawless
- How do you practice yoga every day
- Why can't we turn rust into iron?
- What is re-marketing in digital marketing
- Why is education so important for children
- How can I improve skin elasticity
- Why doesn't America invade Iran
- How do I cover up links in Instagram
- Are all living things edible
- How did Jyeshta Devi marry Shani Dev
- How will Hillary Clinton deal with terrorism
- Would you like to read my novel
- An IUD can cause blood clots
- How did you forgive your father
- Rejects Amity students
- When did you understand the term happiness?
- What is the best digital mixer
- What is the chemical process of combustion
- Are CBT nuggets good for CCNA?
- How can I learn PHP in 2018
- How can cash make a comeback
- Christian science is an oxymoron